MIDI No Recording device detected

John-G-Wood wrote on 3/23/2023, 3:26 PM

I have a Casio CDP-220R. I have used midi-ox to check it is properly connected to the computer (input and output). I have just got Music Maker Plus and it recognises the device so I have selected it. However, when I press record, it says "Recording cannot be started. No recording device connected. Please check your audio settings."

I have fiddled with audio playback settings too, in case the driver matters - I have tried Wave driver, Direct sound. and Music Maker ASIO. It makes no difference.

Note when it is selected in Music Maker, midi-ox says it can't find the memory to connect, which the help page says is because it is connected to another device, so I am pretty sure it is connected to Music Maker.

The computer I am using is Windows 10. I am very new to this - what do I do next?

Comments

SP. wrote on 3/23/2023, 4:01 PM

@John-G-Wood First of all, you need to click on the REC button in the track header of the track you want to record on, until it shows MIDI REC. Then you will record MIDI. If it shows AUDIO REC it will record audio. In case Windows blocks recording audio, please enable microphone access in the Windows privacy settings.

Make also sure you have an ASIO driver selected under Audio/MIDI in the Music Maker program settings or otherwise you will not hear playing your MIDI notes during recording. Set your audio inputs and outputs by opening the ASIO driver settings via the Advanced button.

John-G-Wood wrote on 3/24/2023, 9:10 AM

Ah, thank you! It was the MIDI REC step I missed. All working now!

browj2 wrote on 3/24/2023, 11:31 AM

@John-G-Wood

Hi,

You may also want to watch this tutorial to better understand about recording MIDI using the instruments:

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos