midi keyboard won't work

Javolenus wrote on 1/20/2009, 2:57 PM
EDIT: Hi There. I tried for a week to get my Oxygen 8 MIDI keyboard to work with Music Studio. I had some limited success and managed to get some MIDI data into a Studio project, but could only access sounds via the Windows default Wavetable synth. Then, for some reason, the keyboard stopped working in Music Studio completely. I spent an hour on the phone to the supplier of the MIDI keyboard and they couldn't work it out. Today I installed Cakewalk's Sonar 7 home studio software and the Oxygen 8 keyboard works perfectly. Nothing against Music Studio as a product - it's really great. But if I want to use a MIDI keyboard I'll have to use Sonar 7.

EDIT: Hello Heidel and thanks for your response. I'm editing the original question, as I cannot see any other way of responding to you. Basically, I have now managed to get the midi keyboard recognised by MAGIX Studio as the midi input device, but the only sound I am able to make with the keyboard is via the default Windows Wave Synth. If I select a different soft synth as my midi out, I do not get a sound. Only by selecting the midi keyboard as my midi in, and the default Windows synth as my midi out, am I able to produce a sound and input midi data in Music Studio. Thanks again for your reply.

Hi There,

I wonder if someone can help? I already checked the knowledge database but I'm still stuck. Here's the story:

I'm new to MAGIX Studio and very new to MIDI. I decided to buy a MIDI keyboard to help with composition.

The keyboard - M-Audio Oxygen 8 - arrived today but does not work at all.

I installed the relevant drivers for Windows SP3. I selected Oxygen 8's  USB driver as my midi input.

But I can't get the keyboard to register any MIDI data or even make a sound.

I must be doing something wrong. As a complete novice, I've probably overlooked something basic. But the impression I got when ordering Oxygen 8 was that it was a simple plug and play device.

I've tried installing/uninstalling/re-installing. I've tried installing on my desktop and laptop. But without success.

Oxygen comes with a PDF manual, which I've printed out - but I don't understand any of it. I thought that I could just play the keyboard and the MIDI data would register in MAGIX Studio's MIDI editor screen?

I also thought that I could make sounds via VST instruments and soft synths?

But when I turn on Oxygen and press the keys - no sound and no MIDI data.

Any advice appreciated and many thanks in advance.

Comments

Heidel wrote on 1/26/2009, 4:59 PM
I don't have the program ... but there must be a preference somewhere within Magix to select your midi input device. Is there a preference panel for I/O, or anything in a pulldown menu that sez Input?
4skin wrote on 1/28/2009, 6:17 PM
i dont know but i just spent a ton of money to upgrade to producer edition cause i though i could use my oxygen 49 the same way

after about 3 days im feeling only like im out alot of money and i come here and it looks like magix has no  plans to  help any of us  they just leave it up to answering each others questions

if you can figure how to get it too work let me know caus ein the preferences drop down menu  it says theres no midi input devices   and it sucks really bad

let me know if you figure it out
tommy577 wrote on 3/9/2009, 11:51 AM
Hi- i use an m-audio oxygen v8 and had the same trouble This is how i solved it hope this will solve your problem. open program and select new multi track project vip-a menu will appear "setup for new virtual project",set the number of tracks you require and click ok-the interface will open-in the top lefthand corner you will see the track number 1 click on this and it will open a mixer consol to the left of the tracks-open the midi dropdown and in the IN: box select your sound card driver for midi[i use m-audio delta audiophile 24/96 sound card so mine is deltaAP midi]-then go just underneath to the OUT: and select MPU-401[THIS IS THE THE DRIVER FOR ''OXY'V.8]-now press 'y' on your keyboard this will bring up SYSTEM/GLOBAL AUDIO OPTIONS-at the top select ASIO -then go to ASIO SETUP [JUST UNDERNEATH] ON THE DROPDOWN SELECT-'magix low latency 2008'-agian underneath your 'clock source' should read 'internal [THIS IS IMPORTANT: if at the end of the setup you still get no sounds go on the net and download 'ASIO-4-ALL'@ www.asio4all.com-it's free and after installing it repeat ASIO SETUP] - NOW CLICK OK. MAKE SURE your oxy'v.8 is connected turn it on you should the blip blop sound windows uses to notify connection-hit a key the chances are you'll be playing.allthe best.