Main pages vs Mobile pages : Web Designer Premium 17, using Windows 10

Dennis-Bell wrote on 10/30/2020, 10:14 PM

I am editing an existing Xara created site. If I make changes on the Main Page interface, shouldn't they show up on the Mobile Page interface? (They are not showing up!)

I am aware that layouts would not be the same-- but I thought changes in text or in link destinations ought to show up...

Can I delete all the Mobile pages, then do my editing on the Main pages, then generate new Mobile pages from the changed Main pages. Seems like that ought to work-- but am I just dreaming? Please help--I am new to Xara. Thanks in advance

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 10/31/2020, 8:04 AM

@Dennis-Bell

Hi

. . . . Can I delete all the Mobile pages, then do my editing on the Main pages, then generate new Mobile pages from the changed Main pages. Seems like that ought to work-- but am I just dreaming? . . . .

Assuming you have not disconnected the mobile pages from the main pages then they should update automatically, however i have seen instances where this is not immediate, usually after saving and closing the project and Web Designer they appear. There should be no difference when you publish the site.

You can check this by Exporting the site to a folder on your computer and view this in your web browser

The only difference between the mobile pages and the main is the styling. The web browser detects what the device being viewed on is and adjusts the display accordingly according to the scripts that are in the header of the web page.

However :-

• if you are using Safari to view the site it does have issues with jQuery, which controls the web site functionality, and can give odd display results.

• Occasionally, and this appears to be happening more regularly with the current web browsers, the browser file cache needs clearing or a forced page reload is necessary.

Good practice is to export the website to a folder on the computer and check with a variety of browsers ie Firefox, Chrome, Edge and Opera, unfortunately there is no longer a Windows version of Safari.

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 10/31/2020, 8:04 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Dennis-Bell wrote on 10/31/2020, 2:34 PM

Still not working... Under the drop down called Utilities, there is a section about variants. When and how do I set that to be sure that the pages will mirror? How can I know if my main pages are linked or unlinked to my mobile pages?

I did export the website to my documents-- It did open. When I had it in wide screen, the details of text were correct.

When I narrowed the view and it popped into Mobile view, the details of the text were not what I had typed into the Main page-- but instead they showed what I had typed into the Mobile page. Nothing is synching.

For example: the first words on the Site : "Welcome now..." (Main page index) are replaced by "Welcome" on the Mobile page index. The last page I modified should be mirrored in all the pages, isn't that correct?

I imagine it is something about "variants"-- and the details of how to set that up.

Thanks again for any help.