Magix movie editer Burning Problem?? help please

Hopechass wrote on 12/13/2008, 7:35 AM
Hi,

I have an old home movie on DVD the file is around 1GB on the PC. I have now added a sound track of about 700mb when I place the two together and click the 'Burn' tab it says the 'used space on media: 5247 MB / 4489 MB' it will not let me burn? I have tried removing the sound again but I get the same message.

When I try and burn it tells me I can split it over 2 discs or have the bit rate changed???

Comments

ralftaro wrote on 12/15/2008, 5:18 AM
Hi there,

My recommendation would be to go for the option to have the bit rate adjusted, so it will fit on one single DVD.

A little background information: Basically, when you burn a video DVD, your whole material is encoded into MPEG-2 video. How much space this will take up on the resulting DVD is pretty much exclusively determined by the length of your movie(s) and by the audio & video bit rate at which you're encoding the DVD. At this point, when you're encoding, it doesn't really matter anymore what kind of source material you were using and how big the source files were. You could just take a few digital photos, each of them no bigger than 2 MB, drag them out over the duration of 90 minutes and encode at a typical bit rate. You would fill up an entire DVD blank. You could also take 60 Gigabytes of DV AVI material and put together a generous project with fancy editing and lots of background music. If you stay within the same 90 minutes mark, you still wouldn't take up any more space on the disc than in the first example. This is a concept you should keep in mind.

The bit rate will determine the compression of the material and therefore how much space you'll need for each minute of your movie.

In your case, if the movie is long enough (and also maybe includes a relatively big menu) to break the size limit of a single layer DVD blank, you might want to lower the standard bit rate in the MPEG-2 encoder settings so you can still squeeze everything onto one single disc. This will result in a potential quality loss, but depending on how much you have to lower it, this might be acceptable.

You could also think about using a dual layer DVD blank, if your DVD burner is capable of writing them. They have almost twice the capacity of a standard/single layer DVD. So, you could burn your project from above at a generous bit rate setting.

Automatically splitting up the project over two blanks (at a potentially really inappropriate splitting point) seems like the least attractive option to me.

Well, I hope this info above helps.