Magix does not play music when my mic is plugged in...

Skitz wrote on 7/18/2009, 12:51 AM
I've been recording vocals with magix for a long time. I think my first one was 7. I just recently bought 15 and still also use 10. Before I was using a Logitech computer mic that always worked with no problem. I then tried a M-Audio mic. That when this first happened. When I plugged it in Magix stops playing music so I have no way of telling if I'm on point with my vocals. It will record though, only I have to unplug my mic to hear what I recorded and ofcourse it's not on beat. So I returned that mic just thinking it was a mic issue. Now a year later I forked out more money and got a AKG Perception 220 mic, and I'm having the same issues. I also have a brand new dell laptop that I tried it with, and its the same thing as my desktop. I don't have an interface for the mic, I use a usb splitter so the mic can plug into my comp. I'm not really sure what a interface does. So maybe that's the problem. Or is it that Magix doesn't except these higher grade mics. I really dont have the money to spend on Logic or Cakewalk and Magix serves my purposes. Please tell me how to resolve this issue.

Comments

XXMerosticXX wrote on 7/18/2009, 6:20 AM
Is your soundcard using ASIO...or do you use a driver like "ASIO4ALL" ? You have to do so, otherwise no product at all will be able to make playback and recording at the same time.
XXMerosticXX wrote on 7/20/2009, 5:08 AM
So, I am too late :).

Well, you'll be happy with your soundcard for sure. But there also is a possibility to make other soundcards work this way.

So, solution is:

- New soundcard
- New driver (ASIO!)
- ASIO4All.
Elkan wrote on 7/22/2009, 6:12 AM
MrLethal is right about ASIO4All - search for it and download it.

Otherwise try to buy an external soundcard. Sound Blaster is great for games and movies - NOT for recording music. Most external soundcards works with USB 2.0 or you can buy one with IEEE Firewire - same same.

In Magix you choose either the ASIO-driver as input or the driver which comes with the soundcard.

Best / Mikael
NoTurning wrote on 7/22/2009, 8:14 AM
I have to agree in part here - recording interface (external sound card) is the way to go. With a pc sound card you need a PC mic like your Logitech. Once you get a proper mic as you did you run into a limitation inherent in Magix... they do NOT handle pro audio standards well at all!!! There are workarounds - an external sound card makes up for most of these and thus so highly recommended; not to mention the superior audio and bit rate you'll get with one.

Basically Magix is a home user PC fun software requiring a fun PC mic and a PC sound card; once you start expanding beyond that you experience the problems you've had here.
Justin