Linking "videos" or "projects" question

Comments

browj2 wrote on 8/4/2024, 9:03 PM

@Can-Dive

Hi,

Yes, patience.

As far as I can tell, Eric's projects are quite limited, with 1 or more photos or video clips plus narration. Nothing fancy, no overlays, masks, collages at the beginning (or anywhere else).

If he can make a transition between 2 photos/videos, then he should have no problem. Then again...

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Eric-Elliott wrote on 8/5/2024, 10:57 AM

@Eric-Elliott

Hi,

All Merge does is move all contents of a second movie, including effects, to the end of the first (current movie). This is the same as going to the second movie, selecting All, going to the first movie - end - paste. The only difference is that in the first case the second movie will be deleted as it's probably no longer needed.

Make sure to be on the main movie - the one to which you want to append the contents of the second movie. Open the dropdown, Merge Movies. Read what it says. Merge an open movie. If you have more than one extra movie, then you can open the drop down and select the movie 2 or 3 or 4 or whatever you have. Ok. The material of that movie gets appended to the end of the first selected movie. This cannot be undone, at least not in VPX.

Try it in a test project.

Thank you. I'll try it in a test just to see how it works, but I'm pretty sure "Merge" is not what I want to do. All I'm doing is putting say, 3 or 5 or whatever short Projects together and putting in a transition effect between each one, then if I'm satisfied with it, save it as an MP4.

I think "Merge" would just confuse things and possibly mess up the order or what have you and I would have to re-do everything 50 times.

Eric-Elliott wrote on 8/5/2024, 11:12 AM

@johnebaker @browj2

I know nested projects are not available in Movie Studio (MMS). That is my point exactly. @Eric-Elliott has created a number of projects. He imports them as movies into a single project. He says he wants to join them with transitions so that there is no abrupt switching between them. The solution is nested projects which is not available in MMS. Therefore, to accomplish this seamless transition, @Eric-Elliott would need to upgrade to VPX.

Otherwise, using MMS, there is a solution. He exports each individual project into a final movie for distribution. Then create a new project; call it "Consolidate" for example. Import these final movies into the project along the same timeline and create transitions between each imported movie. Export Consolidate as a final movie for distribution. There may be some quality degradation because of the use of second generation movies to create the Consolidate movie (unlike the VPX nested projects solution) but with today's video captures it would not be visually noticeable; if at all.

What language is this? Greek? Chinese? Swedish? .......I have no clue what you are talking about here, but no worries as it doesn't apply to me.

As to what I am doing: I make individual projects, each with one movie. I then create a new Project (call it "consolidation", "final" whatever) and put the individual projects in it which become "movies". All I need to do then is switch to storybook mode so I can see what I am doing to put in the transition effects between the movies, then save it as both a Project and an MP4. That way, if anything needs to be fixed or something, I simply open it in MMS. As for quality degradation as far as image goes, there should be zero. As for my ability to create content, there is as much degradation as possible. I'm not looking to create stellar videos and such, the crappier the better. If I'm lucky they will naturally improve the more I do.....although, I would not hold my breath or make any bets on that.

Eric-Elliott wrote on 8/5/2024, 11:20 AM

@Can-Dive

There's no need for that. As JohnCB (and others) have explained, you just open successive projects and then you can copy and paste each movie onto the first timeline. Then add whatever transition is needed between each "movie".

That is essentially exactly what I am doing, but since American English is not my native language and video editing is from a different planet or something, I just make a new "consolidated" project and do exactly that for now, although I'm not sure I am using "copy and paste" each movie onto the first timeline unless that is what happens by opening another project and selecting the little arrow that loads it onto the timeline. Perhaps, later, I won't feel the need for excessive safety coverage or what have you and just open the first project I want to start with and then add the rest, save it and call it done.

browj2 wrote on 8/5/2024, 11:28 AM

@Eric-Elliott

Hi Eric,

I think that my instructions are clear. Also, I told you to make a test project. Do this.

1. Start a new project, give it a name - Test Merge1. Save The project.
  2. The first movie will have the same name. Rename the Movie to something else, like Main Movie.
  3. Put 2 photos on the timeline.
  4. Click on the Movie + button to add a Movie.
  5. Rename this movie to Movie2.
  6. Import a video clip.
  7. Save the project.
  8. Switch to the first movie, Main Movie by clicking on its tab.
  9. Open the Dropdown beside the movies tabs.
  10. Select Merge Movies. Read what it says. "Merge an open movie."
  11. Select Movie2.
  12. Ok.
  13. The material of that movie gets appended to the end of the first movie, Main Movie, and Movie2 has disappeared.
  14. Look at the timeline. You now have 2 photos and 1 video.

There is no need to switch to Storyboard mode to create a transition. Do it right on the timeline like the rest of us.

Try it. Select the video. Click on the little transition box at the left end of the clip. Select your transition. Try it.

If you don't know how to do this - again, very basic editing - then watch my tutorials on Fades and Transitions.

Here is the first one:

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Eric-Elliott wrote on 8/5/2024, 11:37 AM

@AAProds

You are absolutely correct. I guess the only challenge with merging the movies is creating the transitions between them and this depends on the timeline structures of the origin projects. I don't think its difficult but after over 70 posts it appears the OP is still struggling with the concept. Maybe a different (simpler?) approach is applicable. I'm not sure, but I will say that the patience displayed by contributors to this thread is highly commendable and you all deserve a Big Star for effort!🎆🙂

Doing the transitions is the next challenge, but if it works like Video Easy did, then it won't be a challenge at all. The challenge here would be if MMS likes to cut the movies or something when it puts in the transition effect. I'll soon find that out. I plan to work in storybook mode for putting in transitions (provided it is anything like Video Easy), as it would be very difficult in timeline mode for me. Timeline is fine for initial editing, but something gets lost in final touches as far as I'm concerned.

The simpler the better, no argument from me there. As for my struggle with concepts of video editing and such, I am the only one in the world who doesn't have experience with it at all and most folks here including yourself were or are in the movie industry or something so you can do this stuff in your sleep and assume everyone else can. So you can keep the snarky comments to yourself.
I can quit anytime. I don't have to make content or try to start a YT channel or whatever (never to be monetized or a career or fulltime). I just wanted to see if it was possible for me. If it is not, then unfortunately, yes I will have lost some money in very basic equipment, but I gave it a go. I start English learning (or ESL) classes at end of this month, so I won't have one minute to work on this stuff, but until then, why not try?

Eric-Elliott wrote on 8/5/2024, 11:44 AM

@Can-Dive

Hi,

Yes, patience.

As far as I can tell, Eric's projects are quite limited, with 1 or more photos or video clips plus narration. Nothing fancy, no overlays, masks, collages at the beginning (or anywhere else).

If he can make a transition between 2 photos/videos, then he should have no problem. Then again...

John CB

I have all cards stacked against me (language barriers, complete lack of experience, very limited time to work on it, not looking for a career, not looking to make blockbuster films, etc.), but I am following your instructions best I can understand and as mentioned, I have been doing test runs. That is why I asked about "Merging" for clarity because I was not sure that was something I needed or wanted to do at this time. From your description, it is not needed and/ or optional really in my case.
As I said, next challenge to understand or what have you is putting in transitions. If that works like it did in Video Easy, it won't be a challenge.

Eric-Elliott wrote on 8/5/2024, 11:52 AM

There is no need to switch to Storyboard mode to create a transition. Do it right on the timeline like the rest of us.

Try it. Select the video. Click on the little transition box at the left end of the clip. Select your transition. Try it.

If you don't know how to do this - again, very basic editing - then watch my tutorials on Fades and Transitions.

John CB

Thank you for the instructions. I do know how to select a transition/fade and used them in Video Easy when I just started to learn this.
"Do it right in timeline like the rest of us": I will try it in timeline mode per your instructions just to see, or maybe see given the mess they call an interface. However, timeline is good for initial editing, I may find working with or putting in transitions easier in storybook mode for me, it depends. Why not try both? You keep forgetting that I do not have experience or a career in making movies like everyone else here.

browj2 wrote on 8/5/2024, 12:09 PM

@Eric-Elliott

Hi Eric,

However, timeline is good for initial editing, I may find working with or putting in transitions easier in storybook mode for me, it depends. 

No, it's the inverse. Storyboard is ok for initial editing - getting photos and videos on the timeline and putting them in the order that you want. After that, use the Timeline for detailed editing so that you can see what you actually have, are doing, and make better use of the tools.

John CB

John C.B.

Eric-Elliott wrote on 8/5/2024, 1:07 PM

@Eric-Elliott

Hi Eric,

However, timeline is good for initial editing, I may find working with or putting in transitions easier in storybook mode for me, it depends. 

No, it's the inverse. Storyboard is ok for initial editing - getting photos and videos on the timeline and putting them in the order that you want. After that, use the Timeline for detailed editing so that you can see what you actually have, are doing, and make better use of the tools.

John CB

By "initial editing" I mean doing all the major stuff (adjusting length of pictures or videos, voiceover, etc.). Perhaps my use of English is wrong again. You guys all said that storybook is not good for editing. I really wish the double-talk would stop, this is not a politics forum (I don't do politics).
Timeline may be easier for you to see what you have, but may not be for me. I already said I would try to work with transitions/fades on the timeline and see how it goes, but that may prove very difficult for me because I can't see what I need to see such as the movies/pictures or whatever along the timeline unless I scroll for a few hours or something. Storybook mode enlarges what is on the timeline including the icon or whatever for selecting the transition and such and puts everything within reach so I can see.
Like I said, I will try both and see which works better for me, if it is timeline, then so be it, if it is storybook mode, then ok.

Gid wrote on 8/5/2024, 2:01 PM

@Eric-Elliott Hi,

It sounds like you've managed to create two or more movies, 👍

Try this -

1. In each movie click Ctrl+A or use the mouse to select all objects, everything will highlight yellow,
  2. Click the Group button at the bottom of the preview window, that will 'stick' all objects together.
  3. Merge the Movies.
  4. Do not not click Save  If you do it will overwrite your project, choose Don't save.
  5. The other Movies will close & you will have one Movie where your Movies will still be grouped together, you can then drag them around as much as you want to create whatever transition you want or to reorder them.
  6. If you want to save the final project choose Save Project As & give it a different name in the box that pops up, give a memorable descriptive name that says what the project is so it's easier to know what it is later.

Last changed by Gid on 8/5/2024, 2:06 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Magix Movie Studio 2025
Magix VPX14
Vegas Pro 21

Boris Continuum & Sapphire, 
Silhouette Standalone + Plugin, 
Mocha Pro Standalone + Plugin, 
Boris Optics,
NewBlue TotalFX
Desktop PC Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - 64-Bit
ASUS PRO WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI AMD Motherboard
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3975WX 3.5GHz 32 Core
Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT 360mm All-in-One Liquid CPU Cooler
RAM 256GB ( 8x Micron 32GB (1x 32GB) 2666MHz DDR4 RAM )
2x Western Digital Black SN850 2TB M.2-2280 SSD, 7000MB/s Read, 5100MB/s Write
(programs on one, project files on the other)
Graphics MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU
ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Semi-Modular 80+ Platinum PSU 
Fractal Design Define 7 XL Dark TG Case with 3 Fans
Dell SE3223Q 31.5 Inch 4K UHD (3840x2160) Monitor, 60Hz, & an Acer 24" monitor.

At the moment my filming is done with a Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra 5G & a GoPro11

I've been a Joiner/Carpenter for 40yrs, apprentice trained time served, I don't have an apprentice of my own so to share my knowledge I put videos on YouTube.

YouTube videos - https://www.youtube.com/c/Gidjoiner

Lots of work photos on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/gid.joiner/photos_albums

Eric-Elliott wrote on 8/5/2024, 2:49 PM

@Eric-Elliott Hi,

It sounds like you've managed to create two or more movies, 👍

Ok, I know I will get in trouble for my English here, but yes, I have crated a few small "projects" with one "movie" each. I have also been creating test "projects" to put more than one movie each as I desire to link some small "projects" or "movies" together. I'm sure neither "project" nor "movie" are correct terms now.
Thank you for these instructions as well. I will give it a try too.