Importing videos from computer

kg79 wrote on 2/24/2019, 2:28 PM

I have some old videos that I have transferred to my pc using my vcr (this was before I purchased "rescue your videotapes"). I would like to edit these videos, but the editing software that comes with "rescue..." will only play parts of the video. For ex. one video that lasts 45 min. will only play about 20 min. of the complete file. Is there a restriction in the software that prohibits me from editing these videos, or is there another reason why I cannot do this? Can I make some changes in the settings, or is it only imported videos from analog sources that allows videos longer than 20 minutes?

TIA! :-)

KG

Magix Video easy Rescue Your Videotapes! Version 5.0.1.104 (UDTP)

Windows 10

Comments

Xenofex2 wrote on 2/25/2019, 11:30 AM

Sorry, not really an answer to your question, just an alternative solution.

I too have recently utilised 'Rescue Your Videotapes' to transfer family VHS to a MP4 file. However once that had been completed I reverted back to my Magix Movie Edit Pro program, a program to which I am more familiar with, to then cut the converted file down into the individual original sequences.

George

johnebaker wrote on 2/25/2019, 2:22 PM

@kg79

Hi

. . . . this was before I purchased "rescue your videotapes" . . . .

When did you purchase RYVT? The version number would suggest this is an old version, which may be incompatible with Windows 10.

@Xenofex2 - why do you not record directly into MEP it works with the USB converter - at least mine does 🙂.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Xenofex2 wrote on 2/25/2019, 4:28 PM

John

Funny you make that comment about recording directly into MEP. I had thought that I had done exactly that ages ago but as I could not see a link to do just that I assumed that was another Magix program that I had used. Oops!

George

kg79 wrote on 2/26/2019, 5:48 AM

Sorry, not really an answer to your question, just an alternative solution.

I too have recently utilised 'Rescue Your Videotapes' to transfer family VHS to a MP4 file. However once that had been completed I reverted back to my Magix Movie Edit Pro program, a program to which I am more familiar with, to then cut the converted file down into the individual original sequences.

George

Does Movie Edit Pro work with mpeg files or do you have to convert the files first? I've been looking for another editing program, but the ones I've found so far imports the audio but not the video.

Thanks,

KG

kg79 wrote on 2/26/2019, 6:00 AM

@kg79

Hi

. . . . this was before I purchased "rescue your videotapes" . . . .

When did you purchase RYVT? The version number would suggest this is an old version, which may be incompatible with Windows 10.

@Xenofex2 - why do you not record directly into MEP it works with the USB converter - at least mine does 🙂.

John EB

I don't remember. It was some time ago, and the shop I bought it at only had one (apparently old) version.

It works fine, except sometimes it stops capturing or mutes the audio before the entire video has been transferred.

KG

johnebaker wrote on 2/26/2019, 7:14 AM

@kg79

Hi

. . . . sometimes it stops capturing or mutes the audio before the entire video has been transferred . . . .

This could be an issue with tapes which suffer from dropout or sync issues - does the tape(s) show any signs of the image or audio dropping out or very poor quality/lines in the image when played back on the TV?

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

kg79 wrote on 2/26/2019, 2:48 PM

@kg79

Hi

. . . . sometimes it stops capturing or mutes the audio before the entire video has been transferred . . . .

This could be an issue with tapes which suffer from dropout or sync issues - does the tape(s) show any signs of the image or audio dropping out or very poor quality/lines in the image when played back on the TV?

John EB

Sometimes, yes. But I've tried other formats too, like transferring tv-programs from the HD on my DVD recorder (just to check the quality of the video), so it's not just old video tapes I have this issue with.

KG

marc-zulet wrote on 7/9/2019, 3:08 AM

Somebody knows the video resolution that Rescue captures the VHS video? It is HD 1080? Is not explained in any place on the website, and is a thing crucial to me... I have already a software and capturing thing, but the resolution is so poor, like 576i/p...

emmrecs wrote on 7/9/2019, 3:58 AM

@marc-zulet

Welcome to the Magix forums.

The resolution of video captured by any device from a VHS tape can only ever be Standard Definition. Simply because the original (VHS) video does not and cannot contain sufficient data to approach anywhere near to HD quality! In fact, technically it is "lower" than Standard Definition, which is why VHS tapes transferred to computer require some degree of "enhancement" in MEP or VPX to make them "look" even "reasonable quality".

There is software designed to increase the resolution of video footage, like Infognition's Video Enhancer (I have it and it works reasonably well) but the result is never going to be true HD output.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam