If I upgrade, I am concerened about my new laptop which has no DVD

B-V-Boy wrote on 2/25/2020, 9:37 AM

Hello ! Just bought a new Dell Inspiron laptop having no DVD player. I am a windows 7 guy. Now I have to use windows 10, and an external DVD player connected with a USB port. With this new technology, can I still use the newest Photostory the same way I have been using Photostory since 2011? If DVD technology is going away, how would I save my slideshows to show them on a TV? I always just used a DVD player hooked to my TV? Also, it seems to be more difficult to find my pictures with Windows 10. I just organized them in folders in the Picture section of the Windows Explorer. Now they are all mixed up and organized by date on the Windows 10 Photo app. This is all very confusing to me. Where can I go to become acquainted with operating under this new environment? I am a seasoned (senior) citizen. Thank you for your assistance.

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 2/25/2020, 11:00 AM

@B-V-Boy

With this new technology, can I still use the newest Photostory the same way I have been using Photostory since 2011?

Yes!

If DVD technology is going away, how would I save my slideshows to show them on a TV?

As long as your DVD player still works and can communicate with your TV there is no problem in continuing to burn DVDs. Speaking personally, I suspect DVDs and Blu-ray discs will actually be around for quite some time yet.

The question of the management of your photos is slightly more complicated, I think! As a matter of choice I don't use the Win 10 Photo app for any purpose at all. For management and cataloguing of my many hundreds of images I use various Photo Management apps, including Magix' own Photo Manager Deluxe. It displays my pictures within the folders I choose to place them in, unlike what you are seeing with the W10 Photos app.

However, I must add, I don't use the default "Pictures" folder for my photos, but rather a dedicated "Images" folder which I created and placed on an external USB drive. (I like to keep the standard C:\ drive as "uncluttered" and unused as possible.)

Just one other thought: you say you are now using an external DVD player. I rather hope you mean an external DVD (re-)writer or you will not be able to produce DVDs of your slideshows!

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Glen-Windrim wrote on 3/13/2020, 7:12 PM

Can you record & play on a usb flashdrive

emmrecs wrote on 3/14/2020, 4:57 AM

@Glen-Windrim

Welcome to the Magix forums.

Please do not hijack another user's thread by asking a question which is really nothing to do with the thread subject.

Please start a new thread with your question, including full details of your computer, version of Photostory etc. This post details the information we need from you.

This thread will now be closed.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam