How to export stereo sound into 5.1 with movie edit pro 14+

Lucio wrote on 4/6/2009, 9:23 AM
I've just purchased MEP 14+ but before opening the box I wanted to ask if anyone knows how to do the following:
 Exporting a project that has stereo or mono sound into 5.1 simulated surround.
 Do you know how much the plug in for this 5.1 authoring costs? I know that it is extra in addition to the cost of the software.
 I cannot get these answers from the magix website or support.
Thanks for the help
Lucio

Comments

ralftaro wrote on 4/7/2009, 11:29 AM
Hi,

The Dolby Surround authoring system is an optional $10 activation, exclusive to the "Plus" version. It will enable you to create Dolby Digital sound on your DVD, even if your source audio is not AC3. The create surround setups, you'll find a feature in the programs mixer window, where you can assign what audio track corresponds with what surround channel.

I hope this info helps.

ralftaro wrote on 4/8/2009, 6:11 AM
Hmm, I'm afraid I will have to pass on this one. I've never had any reason to try this workflow of creating AC3 surround audio from non-AC3 source material before, so I don't know how well it works and what else you might have to observe for this to work out properly. The only thing that comes to mind is the following: Try going into the advanced encoder settings during the DVD-authoring stage and play around with the audio parameters for the AC3 encoder. I guess there isn't really much outside of the bit rate that you can actually manipulate. So, you should try that and see whether you can get better results with a different bit rate. Good luck!

ralftaro wrote on 4/12/2009, 1:56 AM
Glad to hear you managed to work out the problem!

I understand the problem was only occurring when replaying the resulting DVD on the computer itself then? I was somehow thinking along the lines of the DVD being replaying on a stand alone DVD player at first. But then again, you're probably using the 5.1 speaker setup on your computer to enjoy surround DVDs.

ralftaro wrote on 4/12/2009, 2:24 PM
Interesting. Thanks for elaborating. I'll have to explore this issue a little more sometime. Right now I'm not even running a 5.1 speaker setup on any of my machines. Good to hear it's working for you now, though. :-)