How to clear database and start again

Trevor-Reid wrote on 3/31/2020, 5:00 PM

Hi,

Installed Photo Manager Deluxe 17 (PMD) and pointed at my 'Photos' folder on an external drive.

I then realised that the folder was full of any old crap photos and heaps of duplicates. I shutdown PMD and spent ages removing bad photos from the folder and de-duping it down to a fairly clean set of photos.

I then uninstalled PMD and reinstalled hoping to have removed the database.

I pointed to the 'Photos' Folder again and waited sooooo long for it to work it's magic only to find that it was still full of crap and duplicates.

How can I purge my database and re-start the indexing from scratch?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Trevor.

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 4/1/2020, 4:53 AM

@Trevor-Reid

Welcome to the Magix forums.

First, ensure you are in "Advanced mode", there's a tick box at the top right hand corner of the workscreen (this assumes you are not running the Trial version of PMD since this option only becomes available in the full version).

On the top menu bar place your cursor on Database. The dropdown includes the option "Delete entire databse".

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Trevor-Reid wrote on 4/1/2020, 3:59 PM

Hi Jeff,

Thanks, I did that and started again. In fact I stuffed around and did it a few times until I got things right.

One thing I think I noticed is that I am now getting multiple duplicates. One image in particular that I am monitoring, initially after the first DB delete then restart there were 2 identical images (despite the fact that the folder that I am loading has been deduped several times and this image only appears once), then the second time there were 3, third time 4 etc. It looks to me that the database is not completely deleted after all.

Is this a bug? And how do I get rid of the DB completely? Will I have to dedupe via PMD instead?

Thanks.

Trevor.

johnebaker wrote on 4/1/2020, 4:25 PM

@Trevor-Reid

Hi

. . . . how do I get rid of the DB completely? . . . .

The Delete entire database option @emmrecs gave is the only way - there is no file as such that you can delete.

. . . . Will I have to dedupe via PMD instead . . . .

Try using the Database, Optimize database option - this will allow you to change or delete database entries that refer to displaced or deleted files - it does take a while as it scans the entire computer for the images it knows of..

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 4/1/2020, 4:26 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.