How ro change index page file ending to html

hugh-j8 wrote on 4/21/2015, 6:37 PM

When uploading a site via ftp, is it possible to specify the index page file type ending, e.g. html or htm.

I have an existing site which has .html as the index file type and I want the new website to replace it.  But the new website ends in htm which only creates a new web site in a different place. 

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 4/22/2015, 7:15 AM

Hi

Are all the files in the old site .html ?

If so then you will have to either:

1.    create a new folder on the host and transfer the old site files into it, then upload the new site

or

2.    delete the old site entirely and then upload the new site

Both options will temporarily take your site offline

If you are using Web Designers FTP to upload the site then for both options you will probably find it easier to use a program such as Filezilla to create the folders move or delete the files before uploading.

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 4/22/2015, 7:15 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

hugh-j8 wrote on 4/23/2015, 5:53 AM

Hi

Are all the files in the old site .html ?

If so then you will have to either:

1.    create a new folder on the host and transfer the old site files into it, then upload the new site

or

2.    delete the old site entirely and then upload the new site

Both options will temporarily take your site offline

If you are using Web Designers FTP to upload the site then for both options you will probably find it easier to use a program such as Filezilla to create the folders move or delete the files before uploading.

HTH

John EB

Hi 

I have used FileZilla to deleted all the old website files from my htdocs folder on the host server, however I still the same uopload problem, i.e. it stops upload and loops back form 21% to 18%. It seems to get stuck at the same jpg file so I will delete it and try again.

hugh-j8 wrote on 4/24/2015, 3:58 AM

As johnebaker suggested, I had to remove the entire existing site and then upload the new one. However I still had to delete the larger photos to getting working. The largest was only 129Kb. I am using a dial up connection for upload which has always worked for my other web design program Serif Web Plus. It could be Web Designer 10 is a little more choosy.