How do I load files into a www file so that my altered web pages

john-b8313 wrote on 12/23/2020, 10:25 AM

Hi, I am getting problems uploading my web site, see attached file where the FTP hosting company tells me that my files need to be uploaded to the www folder, how do I save and upload into the www folder, the site does load up but when I make changes to pages in my site www.solarharvester.co.uk the changed pages do not show the alterations the hosting company says I need to load up into the www folder, How do I do that within Xara Web Designer pro

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 12/23/2020, 2:03 PM

@john-b8313

Hi

. . . . I am getting problems uploading my web site . . . .

If the site is being uploaded and you do not see the changes when you browse to it - press F5 several times to force the browser to refresh the page(s) - sometimes the browser file cache gets 'stuck' and dispalys the old page or an odd mix of old and new.

If the site is not uploading - try the following - this is the method I always use:

1. In Web Designer - export (not Publish) your site to a folder on your computer.

2. Check that it works correctly and look for typos* and other errors, fix them if you find any and then repeat step 1

3. Use a FTP program such as FileZilla - which allows you to see the website folder structure as you see folder structures in Windows Explorer - to upload the web pages.

Do note the website file structure exported by Web Designer is somewhat different from other web design programs - you will normally only see one HTML file - index.html and a folder containing support files and your images etc - see image below. This is normal as the content is JavaScript driven using jQuery and both the HTML and file and the folder and contents should be uploaded to the www folder - you should also see the same structure on the server using FTP program.

* There is a 2 typos in your address at bottom of the page.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

Last changed by johnebaker on 12/23/2020, 2:11 PM, changed a total of 3 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.