Comments

ralftaro wrote on 4/3/2009, 6:44 AM
Hi,

You'd need a decent audio interface that actually offers multiple inputs. Or you'd need an external mixer that is taking several signals, does the mixing and sends it to the audio interface/PC as one combined signal. A combined solution somewhere in the middle of these two solutions would also be plausible. It all depends on what audio hardware you already have or are willing to invest into, what recording setup you have and also on your personal preferences (e.g. whether you prefer to mix externally or in the DAW).

I hope this helps.

P.S.: I also just noticed that you're apparently using Music Maker, in which case there's no possibility to arm and perform a simultaneous recording from multiple inputs of an audio interface. This would only work in Samplitude/Music Studio. So, in Music Maker you'd have to opt for an external mixer and record the combined signal onto one project track in Music Maker. You might want to consider an upgrade to Music Studio, if you're going to do these kinds of advanced audio recording tasks. That would probably be the much better software for this purpose.

NoTurning wrote on 4/3/2009, 8:01 AM
Ralftaro nailed it! Let me just offer a couple suggestions:
1.) If you do not have a recording interface GET ONE! A PC sound card is just not adequate for decent recording.

2.) Get yourself a decent mixer; Behringer makes a great 12 channel mixer for about $79.00 - the Behringer name has DRAMATICALLY improved over the last several years and I have several pieces of their gear including a UB1202 12 channel mixer. I couldn't be happier. It will allow you to record up to 12 mics/instruments at a time.

I'll reiterate what ralftaro said - with music maker everything will record to one track. That's ok if you have a good mix going in. The UB1202 has an EQ on several channels so you can get a good mix.

Justin
ralftaro wrote on 7/15/2009, 5:44 AM
Hi again,

As mentioned in my previous reply, Music Maker wouldn't be the right software to handle multiple inputs. So, you'd still need the mixer, which of course defeats the purpose of having a multi-in audio interface. You should probably rather go with a more fully featured audio sequencer that matches your interface. The whole Samplitude/Music Studio product line by Magix can handle multiple inputs.

NoTurning wrote on 7/15/2009, 8:05 AM
Yeah... ditto that; everything will record to a single track with Music Maker. The M-Audio 2626 is a great interface but way too much for Music Maker... not even in the same league.

You can try Samplitude or even Cubase - both of which will allow you to record multiple simultaneous tracks. Your Music Maker will be a secondary tool at that point.

I use ProTools and record several live tracks at a time, I then use Music Maker for some audio processing/editing of what I've recorded. It can replace some out-board gear.

Justin