Comments

emmrecs wrote on 5/26/2017, 8:42 AM

Hi, and welcome to the Magix forums.

Photo Manager is, essentially, a database. In other words, it maintains in its .alb files a list of where each photo/image/video etc. is actually stored on your computer. It does not actually actually hold those images in its .alb files, merely a reference to where they are stored.

So, you could simply select to copy the existing .alb files to your external hard drive. But if you move an .alb file to a different computer (by connecting that external drive to the second computer) Photo Manager will still be trying to access those pictures on the original computer. When it finds it cannot now access them it will produce an error message.

In order to do what you want you will need to move ALL the images/photos/videos etc. which Photo Manager references, to your external hard drive, recreate the albums in PM, store those .alb files on this drive and then use that drive, with its .alb files and all the images to which those .alb files refer connected to the second computer.

All the above also assumes you have Photo Manager installed on the second computer.

I think you can also change a Program Setting to nominate a new storage file for your .alb files. I don't have PM but assuming its interface is similar to virtually all other Magix programs, in PM Edit>Settings>Program (? shortcut Y)>the folders tab is the place to look to be able to set a new folder to store those files.

HTH

Jeff

Last changed by emmrecs on 5/26/2017, 8:44 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

johnebaker wrote on 5/26/2017, 10:45 AM

Hi

To change the path locations open the programs settings , Y key, and select the Path settings tab.

However as Jeff has said you will need Photo Manager installed on both computers and you will have to maintain two separate databases.

The .alb album files are separate from the database file which contains the actual information of which albums are being managed by the software plus other data.

AFAICS there is no way to move the database to another location eg the external hard drive.

AFAICS there is no way to backup the database that will allow it to be imported into another instance of Photo other than via CD or DVD.

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 5/26/2017, 10:46 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.