How do I apply a transition to text only?

joslyn wrote on 1/24/2016, 4:37 PM

Photostory 2016 Deluxe

Creating a slideshow with photos, audio track, and subtitles/text.
GOAL: The movie will play with photos and have a text overlay that appears and disappears at different times and with different transitions than the photos.

I am trying to apply a transition to the text only but the photo is affected by the transition as well. Is there a way to have separate transitions for photos and text as they need to appear on screen?

What happens when I try applying two transitions is the photo does it's transition then the screen goes black and does a second transition for the pictue but it now has text on it.

Also, is there a way to make custom templates for transitions? How do I do that? Alternatively is there a way to download additional transition templates from somewhere?

Is there a way to use the animation of a transition template that is provided but keep my preferred font and text size and position placement?

Thanks,

Joslyn

Comments

browj2 wrote on 1/24/2016, 6:41 PM

Hi,

Titles are object just like other images, except that they are transparent except for the text. You simply drag the second title partially over the first like any other transition, and apply effects if you want.

If you are in Storyboard mode, switch to Timeline mode. In the image, I have 2 images with a short transition and a gliding effect, and on track 3, 2 titles with a longer transition (overlap) and a completely different transition. You can do what you want with these - they don't have to be at the location of an image change - put them where you want.

How are you making your transitions?

I don't have PhotoStory 2016, only 2013 so I am limited to 4 tracks. I use Movie Edit Pro 2016 Premium (MEP), but the idea is the same.

There is a transition button in the overlap. Click on it.

In MEP, you can save the title as a special effect if you added some effects, like movement to it. Then it can be loaded elsewhere and applied to a title. But it only concerns the title selected when saved and when applied. If you then drag the title over another one, you get the special transition that you made but not any built in effect because that was not saved. Confused?

My PhotoStory only has a selection for a title that can be saved to a template. Right-click in the title to see what the choices are in the menu. If you have Save title as special effect, great. If not, then you might want to consider MEP next year. PhotoStory is quite limited in what it can do, MEP Plus and Premium are much better tools.

For your last question, which transition template do you mean? Usually, you can modify the font, colour, size etc of the titles. Did you try? If you have problems, give precise details and post screen shots so we can see what you're doing.

If you have composite, that is, effects with 2 or more objects grouped together, you can ungroup them and move them and use them like any other object.

Last changed by browj2 on 1/24/2016, 6:41 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos