Hosting L pkg - do I get domain and email without "Magix" in the address?

midnighthabit wrote on 1/26/2013, 12:26 PM

I'm a nube and don't get the whole process. I want to create a website with an web address which doesn't include "Magix" in it (I guess that's a domain?), example: www.blahblah.com  . So I guess, the "Hosting L" package would fulfill my needs? Is this how it works? I buy the domain name, create the site, and Magix will "host" it (not exactly sure what that means, either). Would this give me a website with my chosen address? Would email accounts say or also have "Magix" in the address? Thanks.

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 1/29/2013, 3:21 PM

Hi

I presume you mean the package from Magix.

Which package you buy depends on your requirements.  With these packages you register a domain name you require - if available - and then use the control panel to point this to your website.

I would suggest you read up as much as you can, before jumping in the deep end and paying out cash, about web hosting, what is included etc. 

Also read the Magix Help and Support pages and FAQ on Domains and Email, 

As a beginner to this I would suggest you do not need, at this time more functionality for different kinds of websites eg shopping carts, video streaming, various website programming languages etc.

However it may be wise to bear in mind what you may want to do in the future, and if the hosting provider allows you to upgrade to extra the features you may need.

HTH

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 1/29/2013, 3:21 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

midnighthabit wrote on 1/31/2013, 9:55 AM

Hmm. No real answer, yet. I've used Magix productes for 15 years (not web stuff, though) and that's what I've always disliked about them... difficult to get answers. The products themselves are generally well priced and user friendly, though. If I'd been able to find the answers in Help, Support, or FAQ's, I wouldn't have resorted to asking here...

Yes, the package from Magix http://www.magix-online.com/us/host-website/offers-prices.3264.html

This will be a singer/band website, so all the usuals for such would be needed. I would be easy enough to relearn code for manually creating a site (it's been a few years and I'm rusty, but I'd gotten pretty good at arranging things and turning things into links and such, when MySpace used to allow that), but the Magix programs seemed to allow you to bypass that with easy drop and drag operations.

If anyone can offer a few more specifics to my original question, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

johnebaker wrote on 1/31/2013, 10:34 AM

Hi

Quote  This will be a singer/band website, so all the usuals for such would be needed. . .

This is the problem - what are the usuals? - without specifics we can only give general answers.  

A site such as this could, depending on the singer/band following and intentions, expand rapidly and outstrip the hosting that you initially purchase.

For example do you want :-

- to have music downloads ?

- paid for downloads ?

- videos of the singers/bands - paid or free?

- a blog?

- a members area?

- an emailed fan magazine ?

- ticket purchase online?

- singer/band booking online ?

All these need to be considered as they will govern what you use to create the site, where it is hosted and what control you have.

Come back with more detail so we can point you in the right direction.

HTH

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 1/31/2013, 10:34 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

midnighthabit wrote on 1/31/2013, 7:31 PM

Thanks for your patience John. I did say I was a nube. Lol.

As we're only beginning and on a small budget, initially I was wanting only the ability to embed players and modules for playing / downloading music and videos, and perhaps a Twitter feed. I also wanted a few pages for things like photos, blogs, a members area, and booking. Other things could simply be linked to with custom buttons along a header or within pages. 3 to 5 @blahblah.com email addresses would be nice too, but a single one would do.

Such would be what I considered "the usuals" for nobody DIY band sites. Pretty limited needs.

Possibly, enough to better direct me?

johnebaker wrote on 2/1/2013, 10:27 AM

Hi

The list of requirements is much as I expected.

Now that you have a starting list of what you would like, the next steps are to put the items on the list in order of what is essential, desired and optional and then see if  Web Designer has the Widgets.

Unfortunately the hosting package does not give much information on what is actually included in the 'back end'. 

Looking at the example websites provided I think the shopping cart, members areas and online booking may have to go on the optional list.

HTH

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 2/1/2013, 10:27 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

terrypin wrote on 2/16/2013, 4:47 AM

Hi,

In addition you may want to check out this set of 90 tutorials, which I found quickly using the Search box on the right.

http://www.magix.info/uk/xara-web-designer-tutorials-basics-to-advance.online-training.911290.html

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Last changed by terrypin on 2/16/2013, 9:26 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK. PC: i7 6700K, 4.0 GHz, 32GB with Win 10 pro. Used many earlier versions of MEPP, currently mainly MEPP 2016 & 2017 (Using scores of macro scripts to add functionality, tailored to these versions.)