HORRIBLE performance when trying to mix photos and video

Marc-Espina wrote on 6/1/2019, 1:34 AM

I have a pretty beefy gaming laptop (i7-7700HQ 2.8GHz 4 Cores, 24GB RAM, 1TB NVME) with a MaxQ GTX 1070 and an eGPU with a GTX 1070. When trying to add video to Photostory deluxe the program cannot even play the video back without stuttering like crazy. I was originally working with 4k video, so I downsized to 1080p and that didn't help at all. If I play the video using Vegas Pro 14, everything is as smooth as butter. Under program settings, I have tried most of the possible settings combinations. I have my video card selected and I also have Hardware acceleration for H.264 playback selected. What else can I do to optimize performance?

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 6/1/2019, 4:19 AM

@Marc-Espina

Hi

. . . . I have my video card selected and I also have Hardware acceleration for H.264 playback selected. What else can I do to optimize performance . . . .

Assuming you are running the latest version of Photostory and Windows 10 - if not see this topic for the information required

Photostory cannot use Hardware Acceleration with the GTX 1070 , it needs to use the Intel integrated GPU - in the Photostory Program settings, Display tab try changing to the Intel HD 630 GPU.

If it is not there, try assigning Photostory to use the integrated HD 630 processor in Windows 10 - see here for information on how to do this.

Note:

1. the laptop manufacturer may have disabled the iGPU in the BIOS - you will need to check if this can be enabled and enable it
  2. 4K video playback is going to be problematic as there is no option to use proxy files in Photostory.

If you are going to be working with 4K video regularly you would better off with Movie Edit Pro Plus or Premium which does support proxy files.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

emmrecs wrote on 6/1/2019, 4:24 AM

@Marc-Espina

Welcome to the Magix forums.

One part of your computer specification strikes me as a possible bottle-neck: you seem to have only one hard drive, albeit a pretty fast one! I wonder whether the fact that it has to simultaneously run the OS and run PhotoStory and stream your video files is causing the problem you see? I also note you say Vegas Pro 14 does not exhibit this problem but that is a dedicated video player/editor; PhotoStory is much more geared towards the use of still images for presentations.

Which exact version of PhotoStory, btw? You can check under Help>About. The latest is 18.1.3.65.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Marc-Espina wrote on 6/1/2019, 1:12 PM

I'm currently running Windows 10 Version 1803 OS Build 17134.765 and Photostory Deluxe 17.1.4.152(UDP3). Looks like the problem may be the GPU. I selected Standard Mode and Microsoft Basic Render Driver. If the software doesn't support the GPU, it should even be an option to select it. The video plays a LITTLE bit better, but not very well. I know this app isn't really meant for video, but I suck at video editing and really like the built in automation. I went through the link you sent, but I don't have any other display adapters to choose. I have 2 different GTX 1070's to choose from. I'll take a look at my BIOS is the mean time.

emmrecs: as for the hard drive, I was previously running everything from my external HD. It was just as laggy, so I moved my media to my local drive, but that didn't help.