FTP cannot be selected from the assignment dropdown list

gillman wrote on 8/2/2016, 11:42 AM

FTP cannot be selected from the assignment dropdown list, only Redirect can be selected. I am using Web Designing software from Xara but purchased the domain name from Magix. So I am basically switching from Xara's Web Host to Magix's Web Host with my new domain name. But in one of the steps you must select FTP which is greyed out. I am unable to complete the transfer because of this issue. Anybody else have this problem?

I just updated Java - still unable to select FTP

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 8/2/2016, 2:57 PM

Hi

There are two independant steps that should taken to get this to work:

1. Redirection:

This is applied to the domain name purchased from Magix - ie you need to  redirect to the location where the website is uploaded / published.

2. FTP setting:

The FTP setting is applied in Xara Web Designer, and should be set to point to the correct address for publishing the web site to.

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 8/2/2016, 2:57 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

gillman wrote on 8/2/2016, 3:17 PM

This what Magix support said to do:You purchased a domain from www.magix-online.com. Unfortunately you do not have a hosting there yet so please set up at least the free hosting from here:

http://www.magix-online.com/us/your-homepage/offers-prices.3264.html

Once you did this please login to www.magix-online.com and click on Domain & Email. Click on Assignment next to your domain and choose "FTP".

Then open up the Web Designer and click on File - Publish Website. It will then show you the Xara Hosting but your website is with MAGIX Online. You will need to click on the option on the bottom left of the box "publish to different host" and then choose the option for MAGIX Online. Here type in your Email and password and then choose the domain you wish to publish to.

Your wesbite should then be online.

--
Thank you for contacting Magix Support.

Best regards,
Marie Granzotto

MAGIX Software GmbH
Supportmanager

So you are telling me to use the Redirect Button in Magix and then go to Xara's Web design and choose FTP and link it up with Index_htm_files for my website. Thank you by the way.

johnebaker wrote on 8/3/2016, 3:21 AM

Hi

Thanks for the clarification of where the hosting is - in this case follow Magix's instructions.

If the hosting had been elsewhere then you would have to redirect the domain name.

If the FTP is not available then it would suggest that the domain setup was taking longer then expected or has not completed properly, in which case you need to contact support at Magix.com 

This is what I see for mine:

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 8/3/2016, 3:26 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

gillman wrote on 8/3/2016, 5:04 AM

Thank you, I am sending your answer to Magix. My new domain address is listed on that page and states it is unassigned. So you are saying Magix has not  completed (or incompleted) the whole process of issuing a domain address to me? I have contacted Magix several times about this issue and so far they have not responded. I am getting a little frustated at this point. How are you getting your screen shots? I only get the text when right clicking on my desktop when the page below from you is up on the screen. Also, how did you get that page in your answer below? I want to send these screen shots to Magix and also show you. Thanks again.

johnebaker wrote on 8/3/2016, 5:40 AM

Hi

. . . . My new domain address is listed on that page and states it is unassigned. . . . .

Is there an Assignment option along side it as shown in my image below ?

. . . . . How are you getting your screen shots? . . . . 

I hit the PrtScn button on my keyboard which grabs a screen shot and places it in the computers clipboard then - using my image editting program - PaintShop Pro X7 -, I the select Paste as new image.

Note - some image editors only have Paste 

The image is then ready for cropping to show the relevant part,  add any arrows or boxes to highlight an item and save it.

When answering a post - click  the Image button (second row next to the Smilie) on the toolbar above which appears when posting.

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 8/3/2016, 5:42 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

gillman wrote on 8/3/2016, 7:46 AM

Thank you - I sent this to after recieving a message from Magix who stated again to click on the FTP button which does not work (greyed out)

gillman wrote on 8/8/2016, 1:39 PM

I thought I was hosting with Xara but it was Magix. My website is now up and running. Magix & Xara sell the same web design software but have different hosting offers.