Finding an appropriate photo gallery

DMammana wrote on 6/6/2020, 10:44 AM

I wonder if one of the terrific Web Designer Premium experts here can point me in the right direction... I've been having a hell of a time trying to find something to fit the bill in the Content Catalog. I'll bet it's there, but I've had no luck.

My website (http://dennismammana.com)is very simple and straightforward; nothing fancy at all. One of the pages needs to be a photo gallery page that can link to a variety of photo categories.

On this “SkyScapes Gallery” page I’d like to have half a dozen or so images (thumbnails), each labeled with its own category of photo (e.g., northern lights, moon, starry nights, etc.) that viewers can select to view a "sub-gallery" of images in that category.

On each of these “sub-gallery” pages viewers can scroll through images in that category, selecting any to view as a magnified image. Very important, though, is that each magnified image must contain a caption (not just a title).

Decades ago, I did something similar by creating each page, links, etc. manually—what a job!  Here’s what it looked like back then:  http://dennismammana.com/gallery.htm.  Not particularly sophisticated, I know, but it illustrates the kind of format I’m looking for.

Thank you for any help you can give me... and you may certainly email me off-forum if that's more convenient (address is on my website).

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 6/6/2020, 12:06 PM

@DMammana

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have corrected the non functioning hyperlinks so they now work, there were extraneous characters and symbols present.

How many pictures currently are you looking to be in the gallery and how many categories?

From the galleries I could find, the categories page would have to be created manually and then link each category icon/image to a unique gallery page.

Personally I use a third party program for creating image/video galleries.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

DMammana wrote on 6/6/2020, 12:28 PM

Hi John--

Thank you for the welcome, and for fixing my wonky links! :)

Categories could be half a dozen or so; images in each might be 8-10, maybe more or less. I'm pretty flexible, depending on my limitations.

I certainly wouldn't object to trying a third-party software to create this component if necessary... as long as it's WYSIWYG and relatively intuitive (I'm fairly fluent in PhotoShop, but that didn't come overnight!) Can you make a recommendation?

--Dennis

johnebaker wrote on 6/6/2020, 1:01 PM

@DMammana

Hi

For those sort of image numbers manually creating the category page and linking to individual galleries would be the quickest.

For very large galleries of images and video I use jAlbum, however it would take longer to learn and customise to match the rest of your website then it would to do it manually.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

DMammana wrote on 6/6/2020, 1:11 PM

I certainly can have many more images... I'm just trying to keep it small just to get something going. I do like the scrolling capability of the slide-shows/galleries in the Content Catalog; have you found any there that have the ability to accept a caption along with the images? Or perhaps any other sources for similar "pre-made" galleries that could import into WebDesigner Premium?

For example, I've put a quick test together of this one gallery page http://dennismammana.com/skyscapes this link is also probably wonky! :) Would work great, except there's nowhere to add a caption. This caption issue seems to be my biggest problem at this point... if I can have that capability I can figure out a solution.

--Dennis

emmrecs wrote on 6/7/2020, 5:01 AM

@DMammana

The link was faulty, now corrected!

I also note your site is described by Chrome as "Not secure". The lack of the correct security certificate may dissuade potential visitors to your site.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

johnebaker wrote on 6/7/2020, 5:44 AM

@DMammana

Hi

. . . . Or perhaps any other sources for similar "pre-made" galleries that could import into WebDesigner Premium? . . . .

It would be possible to use third party gallery code within Web Designer however this is not practical as you would not get the 'widget' interface to make adding images - it would all have to be done in code.

Have a look at these galleries that are available in Web Designer - several of the have caption capability.

The software I use is entirely self contained and generates website pages and would be used independent of Web Designer.

@emmrecs

That is Chrome's behaviour - any site that does not use the https protocol is flagged as insecure.

HTH

John EB

emmrecs wrote on 6/7/2020, 6:00 AM

@johnebaker

Hi John.

That is Chrome's behaviour - any site that does not use the https protocol is flagged as insecure.

I'm aware of that, I wasn't sure the OP was!

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam