End of my movie skips and freezes - HELP!

achtungfemme wrote on 9/10/2009, 9:59 AM
Hello,

I created a movie project in MEP 12 which is about 26 minutes long.  I burned it to a DVD and it played perfectly until the last chapter (last 2 minutes or so), when it started to freeze. 

The end of the movie does have some slow motion scenes and slow transitions, but would that make it freeze when the entire rest of the movie is perfect?

Here's some info:
-Used Memorex 16X DVD-R discs
-Burned at 4X speed (how do you determine which speed to burn it at?)
-Movie resolution is 4:3 NTSC 720x400

I just want to know if this was just a bad disc, or if this is a common problem and there is a way to fix it.  Your help is greatly appreciated

Thanks!!

Comments

ralftaro wrote on 9/11/2009, 7:07 AM
Hi there,

It depends on how exactly the DVD player is behaving when the problem kicks in, but from the sounds of it, I'm inclined to say this is a pure readability issue.

There's a surefire way to check whether the problem is already introduced during the encoding and that is replaying the DVD image directory that gets created on your hard drive before the actual burning process starts. You can have a look into the program settings/path settings of your MEP 12 to find the temporary directory for disc images. There you will find the sub folder with the project name and *.VOB files for the DVD. Play back the VOB files using a suitable software, e.g. VLC Player. If this doesn't work out properly and shows the same effects you saw on the DVD player, the problem is with the proper handling and encoding of the project. If it does work, the problem is with the writing/reading of the DVD. In the latter case, trying different DVD blanks and possibly burning even slower would be my suggestions. Maybe your DVD player just doesn't really like home-made DVD-Rs. I'm pretty positive some make of DVD-R will do, though.

Good luck!

Nietzsc wrote on 10/8/2009, 6:20 PM
Hi, this is not an answer, so the question is what to do If it's the first scenario mentioned in the answer. What do I you do if the problem is in the proper handling and encoding of the project.

Thanks