DVD playback error message - Playback Prohibited by Area Limitations

William-Bryan wrote on 3/11/2021, 4:00 PM

Up graded to Photostory Deluxe 2021 in November 2020. DVDs created will play on my computer and dvd player. Some dvd players in our family will not play the show. Dvd's from previous Photostory versions play fine on those players. Error msg: Playback Prohibited by Area Limitations. I am in the USA. Could the new software by a European version? Should I redownload the new software? Wondering if the problem centers around Region Codes. Thanks

Comments

browj2 wrote on 3/11/2021, 5:32 PM

@William-Bryan

Hi,

When you burn, make sure that you are using NTSC and not PAL. This includes the project settings. You have undoubtedly used PAL. The frame rate should be 29.97 fps and not 25 fps.

When your on the DVD burn screen, click on the preset dropdown and make sure that you have selected Standard DVD NTSC and not PAL.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

William-Bryan wrote on 3/11/2021, 5:51 PM

John Thanks. I did notice that it defaulted to PAL and tried burning with NTSC widescreen. Got same result. Is Widescreen a problem? Did not change rate. Where do I set the frame rate? Bill

johnebaker wrote on 3/12/2021, 4:21 AM

@William-Bryan

Hi

. . . . Wondering if the problem centers around Region Codes. . . . .

It could be, however Photostory does not determine which region codes are used. This is set in the DVD/BD burner.

Are you still using the same burner as previously? If not check its region code in Windows Device Manager, right click the burner and select Properties, DVD Region tab.

Are you still using the same make/type of DVD disc? If they are DVD+R discs try using DVD-R - they have less problems with DVD players.

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 3/12/2021, 4:24 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

William-Bryan wrote on 3/12/2021, 9:37 AM

John I have felt all along it had something to do with Region. As you suggested I checked the burner and it came up "not selected". Have selected Region 1 and will burn a new disc and try it on the dvd players that have given us trouble. I use -R discs. Might be a few days before I can fully test new dvd show. Will get back. Thanks Bill

ps Just did test new disk on one of the dvd players and it worked fine. Will check others next week.

3/20/21 Resolution

John I have tested the new dvds and they WORK FINE on all our dvd players including Blu-ray players. PROBLEM was indeed the REGION CODE which was Unselected on my new HP computer. I have changed that to Region 1 for US location. When burning, I use NTSC widescreen. If the machine is turned off and then back on, it will default to PAL, so I make sure to change it to the NTSC setting. The NTSC setting seems to stay at that selection as long as the machine is not turned off.

Want to thank you John, for your help and I hope our discussion might be of some value to others who may be having the same problem I had.

Thanks Bill