DV AVI audio is distorted during preview and after render.

rpav wrote on 4/12/2009, 10:58 PM

I have Windows XP x64 SP2 on ASUS P5E-VM DO motherboard with Intel Q6700, 6 GB RAM, RAID 0 Seagate 500 GB hard drives, Realtek HD Audio. This configuration performs well with Corel VideoStudio X2, Ulead MediaStudio 8, MAGIX Music Editor 14, etc. Movie Edit Pro 15 DV AVI has audio malfunction during preview or after export to any format. Audio is distorted and has about 25% lower pitch than original. MPEG movies play well.
Notes:
1. Video taken via firewire from Sony FX1 and HC3 using Ulead MediaStudio.
2. 'Performs well' means previewing, editing, converting to other formats.
3. Program settings changes in Playback (Wave driver / Direct sound / Audio buffer size) do not make any effect.

Comments

ralftaro wrote on 4/13/2009, 4:43 AM
Hi,

This is most likely related to a problem that has been discussed here before, but I don't seem to be able to pull up the relevant threads via the search function right now.

In a nutshell: There are generally two different types of DV AVI and the program doesn't seem to like some DV AVI type I files that were captured in external software and then imported. You should perform the entire workflow, including capturing, in Movie Edit Pro. However, if you already have a whole batch of those DV AVI files and you want to process them in MEP, a conversion to type II files in the free DVdate software will most likely get you around the problem:

http://paul.glagla.free.fr/dvdate_en.htm

This just changes some header information in the files. Therefore, it doesn't take long and you're not losing any quality.

If in doubt, maybe you could post a sample file here and I could confirm whether my suspicion is correct in this particular case.

I hope this helps and gets you around the issue!