Dupliate Photo Removal

jmstern wrote on 2/11/2020, 4:20 PM

I am brand new to this software and presently using a trial version to see if I wish to purchase it. I have tried to use the duplicate photo remover under the search button but it does nothing. It simply will not search or do anything.

Kindly provide some direction or assistance. I reviewed the help explanation and followed it step by step but it does not work.

Is the trial version a limited version of the full application? What am I doing wrong?

If I am able to fix this issue, I plan on buying the program but if this doesn't work, it doesn't make sense purchasing it.

Thanks,
-Jeff

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 2/12/2020, 4:02 AM

@jmstern

Welcome to the Magix forums.

I have just tested this in my installation of PM (never having used the process before) and, following the instructions in the help file, was able to activate the search without problem.

So yes, it does work in the full program and may well be a limitation of the trial version. Certainly Magix do place limitations on the trial versions of ALL their software; those limitations do differ from product to product, perhaps this is one of those for Photo Manager?

HTH

(Another) Jeff
​​​​​​​Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Igor-Silva wrote on 2/28/2021, 4:30 PM

Why isn't the limitations listed anywhere on your website (which by the way doesn't even have a content search feature). Been going around in loop trying to test 2 major features I need in Photo Manager, Calendar and the Database. Can't find it in your trial version, can't find information about it, every tutorial shows the feature, and you make us feel stupid, forcing many people to come to your forum to ask questions you should have addresses in first place.

johnebaker wrote on 2/28/2021, 5:21 PM

@Igor-Silva

Hi

. . . . Why isn't the limitations listed anywhere on your website  . . . .

Please note this is a user to user forum - so the Magix website is not 'our' website.

. . . . trying to test 2 major features I need in Photo Manager, Calendar and the Database . . . .

What would you intend to do with the Database?

The database is an integral part of Photo Manager (PM) - without it it would not be able to store the data about the image/video objects you manage with PM.

The options of what you can do to/with the database are:- Search, Add folder, Monitor folder, Optimize the database and Print/export the database - you should find these under the Library menu option.

You cannot access the database for any other purpose.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Igor-Silva wrote on 2/28/2021, 5:50 PM

Thank you for prompt reply.
If you look at your tutorials, and any screenshot of your UI, you will see that Database is a feature that shows on the left side of the UI along with a Calendar options, but these don't show in the trial version.

I don't actually want to mess with the database, I want to reach all photos that has been indexed by your software, test multiple sorting functions, especially the timeline or calendar, but had no luck doing this in my trial.

From using similar tools in the past, I am deducing that the most logical place from what's available in your UI, seems to be the Database option, as I don't see any other way to access those photos other than browsing them folder by folder, which is not what I am interested.

But again, whether I am assuming this is the correct option or not, none of those options appear in the trial version. So you see how am I lost here, looking at the tutorials which don't match what I have installed. There is no information on trial limitations, that's such a common thing to have available on the site or in the trial download page. Usually trials limited by time, will offer full features access, but I can't confirm this on my own.

I need to evaluate a tool for a group of seniors who will work on all sorts of family trees and organizations of thousands of historic photos already spread all over the local computers, but so far, this doesn't seem easy to me, I am not sure it will be easy for them.

johnebaker wrote on 3/1/2021, 6:15 AM

Hi

. . . . I need to evaluate a tool for a group of seniors who will work on all sorts of family trees and organizations of thousands of historic photos already spread all over the local computers, but so far, this doesn't seem easy to me, I am not sure it will be easy for them. . . . .

Thanks for the additional information - I can see your dilemma and also the additional complications it causes eg

If the group are going to be working with their own photos on the local computers you are going to be needing multiple licences/seats for installation on several computers. This also means that a senior will also have to use the same computer every time if working locally only.

If the photos are going to be gathered together into a single organised repository on a central server/computer which the Seniors will all connect to - you are going to need a network licenced version, if available, of the software.

Plus several of other operational needs such as backups, catering for computer failure, security ie users accessing only their photos, etc

I would suggest you contact Magix Sales for a consultation on what you are requiring in way of usage, licensing etc before committing to a purchase - see the Purchase Consultation Contact section of this page (scroll down to the section).

Apologies if this seems like pushing the issue elsewhere, however what you are wanting to do needs more technical input from Magix.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.