Does xara web designer version 8 have the capability to create mega menus?

jacobitejake wrote on 3/12/2013, 11:42 AM

I currently use Designer 7 and have received an offer to upgrade to version 8, Because my site is so big I think that I need to now look at mega menus for the navigation, also my site was so big I had to split it into two as version 7 couldn't cope with the number of pages, so has version 8 improved the page capacity as this would also help?  

Many thanks and Kindest regards

David

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 3/14/2013, 2:45 PM

Hi

. . . . Because my site is so big I think that I need to now look at mega menus for the navigation, also my site was so big I had to split it into two as version 7 . . . 

I am guessing that this site has 'grown' over a period of time.

The biggest proplem which occurs with large numbers of pages is breaking the menus down into a better structure.

I think you should look at the structure of your site and reorganise it to be even more modular so you do not have to resort to mega menus - have a look at this approach here and here.

One method which I think would also help subdomains, if your hosting provider lets you create them, to split the site into what would effectively be smaller individual sites linked together with a master home page.

This way each subdomain site can be a smaller individual web project in Web Designer.

Like the site design - nice and clean except for those long menus and no flash (at least on the pages I looked through) - great for mobile devices.

HTH

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 3/14/2013, 2:45 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

jacobitejake wrote on 3/18/2013, 8:35 PM

Hi

. . . . Because my site is so big I think that I need to now look at mega menus for the navigation, also my site was so big I had to split it into two as version 7 . . . 

I am guessing that this site has 'grown' over a period of time.

The biggest proplem which occurs with large numbers of pages is breaking the menus down into a better structure.

I think you should look at the structure of your site and reorganise it to be even more modular so you do not have to resort to mega menus - have a look at this approach here and here.

One method which I think would also help subdomains, if your hosting provider lets you create them, to split the site into what would effectively be smaller individual sites linked together with a master home page.

This way each subdomain site can be a smaller individual web project in Web Designer.

Like the site design - nice and clean except for those long menus and no flash (at least on the pages I looked through) - great for mobile devices.

HTH

John

Hi John, many thanks for the advice and there's plenty of guidance in the links you've provide.  I appreciate your kind feedback and fully accept that the subdomain way would be best which, thankfully, my hosting offers freely.  I would however, really appreciate some suggestions on how to arrange my menu so as to allow access to all the pages/sections without the need for mega menus.  Perhaps send me to some examples that would work... I'm really scratching my head as to how to solve the issue... thanks again.

Kindest regards

David