Distorted Sound from Turntable

steve911 wrote on 2/20/2010, 8:21 AM
I am using Magix Audio Cleaner Deluxe 15 with the supplied Magix Pre-amp. The turntable is connected to the phono input of the pre-amp; the output from the pre-amp is via usb to my PC using the supplied cable. The USB also powers the pre-amp.

I have yet to successfully play back or record any vinyl record through this system. The sound produced from the turntable is so seriously distorted that is pointless trying to record it.

I can play MP3 files from my PC via the pre-amp to my speakers and the sound is good. The vinyl records themselves play well through a standard hi-fi and I have even replaced the stylus thinking that this may have been the source of the problem.

The manual supplied with the package refers to and provides connection diagrams for the non-USB pre-amp only - unforgivable in my opinion - but having said that there is no scope to connect the pre-amp incorrectly.

As it stands, this package simply doesn't work.

Comments

JohnM wrote on 3/8/2010, 3:36 AM
I play my turn table through the  hifi amp, out the earphone jack into an external sound card and then into the computer.

I don't use a pre-amp and I use the external sound card because a laptop sound card doesn't give a good enough recorded sound quality.

Suggest you use your stereo amp instead of the pre-amp and if you are using a laptop buy a good external sound card.

JohnM