Difference between Upgrade and Update

Donald-Sanders wrote on 11/6/2020, 8:50 AM

I currently own Xara Designer Pro X Version 17. My update service is set to expire in a month and when I use the program, it suggests that I upgrade for about $129. What is the difference between an "upgrade" and simply extending the "update" service for one year for about $39? I may be off on the exact dollar amounts, but they both seem to get me the same thing for different costs.

Comments

browj2 wrote on 11/7/2020, 7:32 AM

@Donald-Sanders

Hi,

Check carefully about the Update Service for $39. It is probably not for Xara DPX, but for either Photo&Graphics Designer or Web Designer Premium.

Extending the Update Service and Upgrade are the same thing.

Given that Xara has been very slow issuing interim updates with new features, I suggest that you wait until a new version comes out and that it has features that you would like. Before your current year runs out, download everything possible from the on-line catalogue.

When the year is up, the only thing that you lose is access to the on-line catalogue, any interim updates, and the M Hosting service which may have a separate expiry date (assuming that you have used it). The M Hosting can be paid for separately. I have not paid for the Upgrade or Update service for a couple of years, but I have paid for the M Hosting because I have a domain name through it.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

gary-tayman wrote on 11/24/2020, 8:34 AM

Thank you! I just stumbled onto this thread after posting a message of my own, and checking (in vain) to see if it posted correctly. I had trouble signing on, then asked for an e-mail with new password, then I got on, and THEN I got the e-mail and put in a new password -- I don't know where I am but fortunately I'm here. Anyway, I'm getting messages that I need to update, and it seems the only option is to upgrade to Pro 17 (I have 16). When I upgraded from Premium to Pro, suddenly my existing pages weren't compatible, and my concern (probably shared with others!) is that I have to have three versions of Xara on my computer to be compatible with the various pages just to edit them. I'll update, but please keep things compatible!

browj2 wrote on 11/24/2020, 12:14 PM

@gary-tayman

See this page showing the comparison of the Xara products.

Please use the full names of the products; there are no such products as Xara Pro and Xara Premium.

Xara Designer Pro X = Xara Web Designer Premium + Xara Photo Graphics Designer + Xara Page & Layout Designer + a few more features ostensibly not in the others.

Xara Designer Pro X 17 will replace 16 upon installation.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos