Comments

emmrecs wrote on 11/17/2018, 10:03 AM

Hi, welcome to the Magix forums.

First, please read this post and give us ALL the information requested there.

Second, when you say "it will not open" I assume you're referring to the project itself, not the program? Assuming it is the project then I fear that specific file has become corrupted and hence unusable.

I assume (sincerely hope) you were saving your project as you went along or, at the very least, you had Autosave enabled? If so, can you open one of the earlier versions? (They should have a file name either of "Autosave" or of "Your project name_BAKx_M__", where "x" is a number between 1 and 10.) Check carefully the time each one was created; the higher the number does NOT necessarily indicate the most recent.

Once you have found the most recent version you can open, immediately save it under a new name. Check what is or may be "missing" from this version as compared with the crashed one; whatever it is is likely to be the cause or catalyst for the crash, so proceed carefully, ensuring you save a new version before making ANY changes (just to be sure.)

OTOH, if the program will not open, that's a whole different ball game!

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Francois-de-Melogue wrote on 11/17/2018, 10:18 AM

Thanks Jeff, I will add all the info at some point but I do not have time now. Long story short. I created a project which I back up very regularly. So yes it was backed up but the program became non-responsive. I use many more graphic based programs (photoshop, indesign, etc) with absolutely no problems and just found this program slightly frustrating. I really want to like it. I ended up uninstalling and now cannot find the activation code so I guess my time with this is over for now.

emmrecs wrote on 11/17/2018, 11:30 AM

Hi again.

A shame that you have decided to uninstall and, seemingly, "give up" on the program, if I may say so!!😀

Should you decide to reinstall you should be able to find your serial number by accessing your Magix account (assuming you registered the product when you first installed it) but you may find problems completing the reinstall satisfactorily since it is almost certain that not everything connected with the original installation has actually been removed by your uninstall. (This is because, if you used the standard Windows method of uninstalling the program, the needed install.log does NOT know about certain files/folders which were created after the installation and whilst you were using the program.)

Should the reinstall prove problematic this tutorial will guide you in ensuring ALL the leftover items from the previous install are safely and easily removed, before you reinstall successfully.

I must also say that the other graphic programs to which you referred are very different to Photostory both in the way they work and in their intended "output". And yes, I also use other graphics programs, though not Photoshop or Indesign. I have a subscription to Adobe Audition (for the audio work I do) but cannot justify at all the monthly cost of PS or ID.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Francois-de-Melogue wrote on 11/17/2018, 11:37 AM

Thanks again, it's weird, I can safely figure out most Adobe issues with no problem. Adobe programs are seemingly more complicated but also more logical. Maybe it is me. Is there a better source for how to actually use this program other than Magix? I did reinstall but I am lacking confidence that two days time is not wasted.

emmrecs wrote on 11/17/2018, 1:22 PM

Arguably, the "best" source for information on how to use the program is this forum!

Why not post your specific queries here?

If you do want to ask more questions, please read this post first and ensure you supply all the information requested there. The hardware, spec. etc., of your computer and details of the exact version of PS which you have can be very relevant when attempting to diagnose and help other users.

Jeff