crackling sounds in WAVs rendered from ACIDpro 11

eric194814 wrote on 5/15/2023, 12:29 PM

Hi,

Am currently using AcidPro 11 and am rendering WAVs for a sound project file, with the "save each track as a separate file" box checked.

However, when inspecting each individual rendered WAV to confirm quality, I have found that the ones which have the greatest amount of volume envelope editing also now have crackling sounds. So there seems to be a correlation between the amount of volume envelope editing and the presence of crackling sounds in the rendered WAV of that track -- the more volume envelope editing for a particular track in ACID, then the more crackling sound that can be heard in the separately rendered WAV.

Is there a setting to choose that will prevent the rendered WAV tracks from having these crackling sounds?

Also, attached is a screenshot of the audiodevice dialogue box in AcidPro 11. Not sure if this is even applicable, but thought it might be helpful? I had come across some comments via google for other software that suggested that extending the buffering times could somehow help/prevent the crackling problem. ((But I don't know anything about that, so that's why I'm posting on this forum!))

thanks,

Comments

SP. wrote on 5/15/2023, 1:47 PM

@eric194814 You mean clipping? If yes, then don't go over 0 db with the volume.

eric194814 wrote on 5/15/2023, 6:41 PM

No; I was referring to a crackling sound, as in Snap, Crackle, Pop. Clipping is not an issue.

SP. wrote on 5/15/2023, 11:32 PM

@eric194814 Have you tried to restart your computer in case the audio driver has some problems?

blake-fast wrote on 7/5/2023, 4:46 AM

i too have the same issue its not just volume envelopes it happens on any track with panning or automation envelopes i have noticed as an arrangment builds up the crackling happens more and more during playback duriing playback whenever the track hit these envelopes many times bringing the track to a stuttering halt before an inevitable crash im convinced part of the problem with the way acid glitches and crackles when it hit the envelopes is how it handles graphics when i play the track without the envelopes the track plays almost normally not very good if you need to automate stuff though ! perhaps someone with developer skills could answer the question ?

emmrecs wrote on 7/5/2023, 6:25 AM

@blake-fast

I do not have developer skills but...

The OP was experiencing this problem with rendered wavs, you seem to hear the same on playback within the app. Thus, your problem is different and really should be raised in a new thread.

However, it is more than possible that this is caused, for you, by the audio buffer of your interface being unable to handle the level of data throughput that is required for successful playback of your music. Have you tried increasing the size of that buffer?

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

SP. wrote on 7/5/2023, 6:28 AM

@blake-fast Make also sure you don't use compressed audio files in your project. Convert them to WAV first because decompressing during playback can also cause issues.

eric194814 wrote on 7/5/2023, 5:05 PM

Thanks everyone, for the feedback.

Jeff (emmrecs) -- could you briefly explain how to increase the size of the audio buffer? Which part of the Acid menu to visit, and which command to select, etc?

Many thanks.

blake-fast wrote on 7/9/2023, 12:21 PM

sp i dont use compressed files in my or my clients tracks, secondly i have the same crackling in render as in play back so i do not require a new thread and the crackling occurs where the envelopes are on the track it is exactly the same problem now i will accept your apology any time you decide to give it

SP. wrote on 7/9/2023, 1:13 PM

@blake-fast I haven't told you that you require to create a new thread. 😉

Have you tried ti reset the program settings by holding CTRL and SHIFT and double clicking on the program icon to start ACID and then keep holding CTRL and SHIFT until a small window appears that will ask you if you want to reset the program settings?

juno106 wrote on 7/18/2023, 5:53 PM

Hi! I had the same problem when using vst3 plugins. I just use vst2.