Could I process commercially produced VHS videos with MAGIX Rescue Your Videotapes?

Bahny wrote on 7/7/2016, 7:08 AM

I'm considering buying "MAGIX Rescue Your Videotapes!" to archive a whole load of VHS videos and was wondering if there is any problem regarding commercially produced videos (all my VHS tapes) for example copyright infringement, or some form of copy protection coding which would block the digitization. If there is then it wouldn't be worth buying MAGIX Rescue Your Videotapes! only for it to tell me "sorry you can't do that".

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 7/7/2016, 10:20 AM

Hi

. . . . any problem regarding commercially produced videos (all my VHS tapes) for example copyright infringement . . . .

This you would have to take up with the individual copyright holders or their agents, or your countries regulations re making backup copies for personal use.

. . . . some form of copy protection coding which would block the digitization . . . .

There was some attempt to introduce copyright protection on tapes many years ago, however IIRC this only worked when copying from VCR to VCR, digitising should not be affected. 

As an aside, depending on the age of the tapes, you may find the quality is a lot less than you expect, especially if you try to record at HD resolution.

Recording at DVD resolution will give the best quality, however there will be some softening of the image and possible artefacts due to the vertical resolution of the image on tapes - approx 240 lines for VHS ie approx 43% of the vertical resolution of a standard TV  and 400 lines for S-VHS  ie approx 69% of the vertical resolution of a standard TV.

This does not equate directly into pixels however when you consider a DVD vertical resolution is 480 px (NTSC) or 576 px (PAL) you get the idea that you are starting with low quality material for digitisation.

Add in other factors which may affect recording quality, eg  the tape tracking is off or recorded signal level has deteriorated due to loss off magnetic strength, print through or general deterioration of the tape backing.

If you already have a video grabber eg a Terratec or other make, except Pinnacle (I have never got these to work with any other software than Pinnacle,  then I would install the trial version of RYVT and experiment with the recording settings to see what sort of quality you can get.

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 7/7/2016, 10:20 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.