content catalogs

Cliff-WANG wrote on 1/17/2021, 5:38 PM

I have been using Xara DP since version 3.2 and am now on 10 with pro+ installed as well. Since the beginning the galleries have been complete as far as graphic content, plugins, websites, etc. with a simple drag and drop. Now it's asking me to upgrade every time I open Xara. I no longer have access to the contents that were always there. My versions have always been registered on the Magix site. What changed in the last few months? Why can I no longer open galleries and produce graphics/sites without some external site opening up? Thanks for any help!!

Comments

SP. wrote on 1/17/2021, 6:01 PM

@Cliff-WANG 

Have you bought your latest version more than a year ago? Usually, you will get one year free access to the galleries after buying the software. If the year is over and you haven't downloaded the galleries to your computer for offline use you cannot access them anymore until you renew your update service.

Cliff-WANG wrote on 1/17/2021, 6:16 PM

Was it always this way? I'm sure I skipped a version or 2 and still had access to most "non-premium" galleries. So now you're saying I need to upgrade to what version? And... what is Pro+ then? Thank you!

browj2 wrote on 1/17/2021, 8:48 PM

@Cliff-WANG

Hi,

You say that you are on version 10? If so, then you should have received all of the content. Mine was on CD or DVD I believe.

Somewhere around version Xara DPX12, Xara/Magix changed the way things worked and went to what is called the Update Service. Before that, there was some stuff in the Local Designs gallery and you could purchase everything else through the on-line Content Catalogue, including Templates, widgets, etc. With the change to the Update Service, Xara unlocked all on-line Content Catalogue, made it free, and you could download everything to your computer to show up in the Local Designs Gallery. You had one year from the last time that you last paid to do this. At the same time, the Update Service included any new features or versions that came out within 1 year from when you last paid - like an advance on these, so much better than before. The caveats are that;:

1. If you do not renew, you no longer get access to the on-line Content Catalogue. If you have downloaded everything, no problem.
  2. If you have to reinstall, you can only get the version that was active when you last paid.

I stopped paying almost 3 years ago. I got version 15 when I last paid, was upgraded to 16 during the year, and I downloaded all available on-line content before my 1 year was up. So far, I have not had to reinstall the program. However, there is a nag upon opening Xara:

I click ok and keep going.

If I pay for the Update Service now, I would get version 17 and then 18 and have access to the on-line Catalogue Content for 1 year. I'll wait.

John

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Cliff-WANG wrote on 1/17/2021, 9:05 PM

Hi John - Basically Xara handed this off to Magix and what was a $99 upgrade is now a $149 overhaul. I missed the year deadline by a week and never downloaded the content so I guess if I want to continue with Designer Pro (v17 - ?) I have to pony up the 149 bucks. I have Corel Suite, Adobe suite, Lightburn, Sheetcam and various other subscription programs but once in a while I like to use the WYSIWYG simplicity of Designer Pro. In short, there goes $149. Thank you for the help!!