Comments

Former user wrote on 2/28/2020, 3:58 PM

thanks bill-c but I've seen all of that. The added plugins but the rest is the same as AP9. I wanted to know about other improvements & features to the program...? It's looking like you get a new splash screen a few plugins and you're charged for an 'version 10'

shkr wrote on 2/28/2020, 6:59 PM

thanks bill-c but I've seen all of that. The added plugins but the rest is the same a AP9. I wanted to know about other improvements & features to the program...? It's looking like you get a new splash screen a few plugins and you're charged for an 'version 10'

stem maker - was only in the "next" version

morph pads - korg kaos pad style

sidechaining - coming soon but infrastructure is there (vst sender)

some bugs repaired and finally only x64 ;) although x32 bridge still there ;-p

stable here, so far so good :)

Former user wrote on 2/28/2020, 8:37 PM

thanks bill-c but I've seen all of that. The added plugins but the rest is the same a AP9. I wanted to know about other improvements & features to the program...? It's looking like you get a new splash screen a few plugins and you're charged for an 'version 10'

stem maker - was only in the "next" version

morph pads - korg kaos pad style

sidechaining - coming soon but infrastructure is there (vst sender)

some bugs repaired and finally only x64 ;) although x32 bridge still there ;-p

stable here, so far so good :)

Former user wrote on 2/28/2020, 8:53 PM

Thanks shkr, my AP 10 is (seems to be) stable as well, though it did crash today.. (editing an audio file in SF13 from AP10). So I suppose, in the end, other than the added plugins (which are useless to me,yes, I understand others may find them useful) a side chaining feature, a new splash screen and some bugs fixed is what we paid for. I guess I was looking for more improvements in the program not added 'fluff'.

Thank you for you input, Cheers

lt20018 wrote on 2/29/2020, 11:23 AM

Thanks shkr, my AP 10 is (seems to be) stable as well, though it did crash today.. (editing an audio file in SF13 from AP10). So I suppose, in the end, other than the added plugins (which are useless to me,yes, I understand others may find them useful) a side chaining feature, a new splash screen and some bugs fixed is what we paid for. I guess I was looking for more improvements in the program not added 'fluff'.

Thank you for you input, Cheers

So really no change at all??? smh

shkr wrote on 2/29/2020, 3:55 PM

well I get your point. I think that zynaptiq tech is expensive. Magix knows that new people won't buy Acid to be their main DAW, because these people already have another DAW. But they can buy additional one to get interesting niche features like stems and pads. I think it is a good strategy. I am more than happy that Acid is improving once again. And also this strategy means that there's a 99 euro upgrade every year. A lot? well new Slate eq costs 150 bucks just for an eq. I know Reaper's non commercial license is cheaper and reaper is feature packed. Is also unusable for me ;-) I have a few DAWs. Acid is the best sketchpad to make new ideas quickly. For me of course. And that's why I love it.
Also - every DAW crashes from time to time. Because every pc is different config. This is why many peoples prefer Macs - to have more stability (and Logic ;). 
But in my opinion some people writing in forum their problems seem to me like user error not magix. Not all of them ofcourse, Acid has some problems. But imo it's getting better :)

Former user wrote on 2/29/2020, 9:41 PM

shkr, thanks so much for taking the time to discuss AP10. I too use it as a sketch pad, makes quick demo's.

I THINK I found a bug n AP10. The Morph plugin loads in every BUS I create (automatically) In 'preferences' you have the option to opt-out of automatic loading, simply uncheck the option. HOWEVER after unchecking (and restarting AP10 and rebooting the PC) Morph still loads on every BUS...?

Cheers

toddbooster wrote on 3/1/2020, 1:55 AM

shkr, thanks so much for taking the time to discuss AP10. I too use it as a sketch pad, makes quick demo's.

I THINK I found a bug n AP10. The Morph plugin loads in every BUS I create (automatically) In 'preferences' you have the option to opt-out of automatic loading, simply uncheck the option. HOWEVER after unchecking (and restarting AP10 and rebooting the PC) Morph still loads on every BUS...?

Cheers

Maybe you'll have to remove the morph pads already created in your project manually. I just tried turning off the preference to automatically add morph pads, and even after restarting AP, new busses in an empty project did not have morph pads.

shkr wrote on 3/1/2020, 3:57 AM

Here - after removing 'adding morph pads' in preferences new projects don't add them. Removing morph pads from project seem to me like removing vst so no big deal. But as you observed these morph pads are added to busses and manual says it shouldn't be this way? They should be on tracks and master? But they rather on busses and master? What do you think?

But there's unfortunatelly another bug, imo this one is serious. It was shown here:
https://www.magix.info/us/forum/acid-pro-9-0-1-tracks-constantly-moving-around-slightly--1230988/#ca1482721

I can confirm it. Can you guys check it? I think we need to send a ticket to magix, because this one is serious to me. Finding these small movements in say 50 tracks will be a nitemare :/

Former user wrote on 3/1/2020, 10:45 AM

Thanks shkr andTodd, I have removed them manually (morph pads) but they reappear on the next start up of the project, my solution was to remove the Morph Pad vst3 from AP10. As it's not a plugin I have a need for or interest in it's no lose to me. You mention the slight movement of audio clips inside of tracks, Yes it happens, happened to me yesterday working on a song. I've seen this before in AP9. At the time I chalked it up to resizing the grid spacing...? Having to re-a line a 50 track project would be (is) nightmarish. I remember the first time it happened, my first thought was 'when did my timing get THIS bad ?'' But you're right this is a more serious problem than the Morph vst which at best is an inconvenience..

Former user wrote on 3/1/2020, 3:30 PM

well I get your point. I think that zynaptiq tech is expensive. Magix knows that new people won't buy Acid to be their main DAW, because these people already have another DAW. But they can buy additional one to get interesting niche features like stems and pads.

Stems and Pads can be had cheaper as part of plugins or applications that just work with other DAWs. Adding this into the base SKU while increasing the price by 33% is a bad value proposition, given how lackluster the STEM Maker is. Maybe 2.0 changes the game, but I'm not going to bet on that.

I think it is a good strategy. I am more than happy that Acid is improving once again. And also this strategy means that there's a 99 euro upgrade every year. A lot?

Yes, a lot. Considering you can get REAPER for $225 Commercial LIcnese and get free updates for two full versions - which basically covers almost a decade and about 200 ACID Pro upgrades worth of feature additions and enhancements.

Or you can get Cakewalk by BandLab for free.

There simply is not enough evolution to justify paying, basically, a running subscription for this software.

well new Slate eq costs 150 bucks just for an eq. I know Reaper's non commercial license is cheaper and reaper is feature packed. Is also unusable for me ;-)

It's unusable for no one. Just depends on whether or not you're willing to put in the work to learn how to use it.

Even the commercial license is a steal compared to ACID Pro, if we're looking at long term TCO.

If you only use ACID Pro as a utility, then there really isn't much reason to have upgraded off of 8.0. And the only reason to move off of 7 was 64-Bit, so that you can stop cluttering your machine up with 32-Bit plugin installs :-P

I have a few DAWs. Acid is the best sketchpad to make new ideas quickly. For me of course. And that's why I love it.

Other DAWs have better composition and arranging features - especially for MIDI. This was true over a decade ago, but the market has caught up and surpassed it. ACID Pro is great as a canvas for throwing loops and mixing them. It's not much different than MAGIX Music Maker, in that way.

For experimenting, DAWs like FL Studio, Cubase, and others are superior due to the tooling. I wish they would have focused on the tooling instead of adding more extremely niche plugins and instruments.

Anyone who cares about Serum already owns it. You can rent-to-own that Synth for $10/mo. off Splice.

Also - every DAW crashes from time to time. Because every pc is different config. This is why many peoples prefer Macs - to have more stability (and Logic ;)

As someone who uses Windows and macOS on a daily basis, literally concurrently, I reject this thought relic.

98.6% of issues with apps or devices are with the application or driver developers, not the platform.

But in my opinion some people writing in forum their problems seem to me like user error not magix. Not all of them ofcourse, Acid has some problems. But imo it's getting better :)

There is a level of ignorants that hovers over this forum (as most users are relatively casual), but the issues with bugs and stability in ACID Pro 8 and 9 were not down to User Error. They were down to buggy software.

The software you paid for should get better. You shouldn't have to pay upgrade fees to get what you paid for, last year (or the year before).

jocker-boy wrote on 3/1/2020, 3:48 PM

Acid Pro 10 is the logical ending a Next sequel project, which has added nothing but a few features.So AP 10 is what it should be, with the legacy of what Next had.It's good that there is no longer a "365 subscription" which was even more problematic.Acid Music Studio 11, Acid Pro 10 & AP 10 Suite is the best solution in distribution versions.And such a system should stay.

shkr wrote on 3/2/2020, 12:19 PM

@Trensharo

I understand your point of view. There are some valid points in your post. I too would like Acid to progress faster. They chose to focus on x32 bridge to please some users, I think it was a mistake. It caused more confusion and bugs. Unnecessary. Addind stems and morph pads is a strategy to get new peeps onboard. It can work or not. We will see.
As for other DAWs - I know there are plenty, some better for mixing, some better with midi, some better for modular env, jamming and so on. Regarding Reaper it was of course a joke on my end. I know it's a great DAW. But just too geeky for me. Cluttered. I just won't spend time learning it. What for? I'm happy with my tools. 
You've got full right to advise people to try other DAWs.
I, on the other hand, have got full right to like Acid ;)
Let's all have fun making music :) 

jocker-boy wrote on 3/4/2020, 5:01 AM

As for other DAWs - I know there are plenty, some better for mixing, some better with midi, some better for modular env, jamming and so on. Regarding Reaper it was of course a joke on my end. I know it's a great DAW. But just too geeky for me. Cluttered. I just won't spend time learning it. What for? I'm happy with my tools. 
You've got full right to advise people to try other DAWs.
I, on the other hand, have got full right to like Acid ;)
Let's all have fun making music :) 

There is also a good alternative in the form of Presonus Studio One.:) -Still, Acid was and is unique.:)

There are pluses in what Magix did during this time and there is no doubt about it.However, they got a little lost.

They wanted and want everyone to be happy and able to use this DAW in their work with audio .I have not used 32 bit plugins for a long time,this is the past.Is they left a gate for applications based on 32 bit code. However, this did not bring a good result.They should work for efficient and stable work with midi.There is a lot to do there.Steam Maker is a good idea,if it is improved, I enjoy it.As for Morph Pads ... I don't know if it is useful.Melodyne is tragic at work with Acid.
Cheers :)

AlbinoWino wrote on 3/4/2020, 5:08 AM

All the bugs and crashes that were in 8 are still here in 10.

Then they make us pay for an update that basically just adds plugins.

I'm done unless they fix their software. Making it actually CPU cores would be nice too.

jocker-boy wrote on 3/6/2020, 4:21 PM

All the bugs and crashes that were in 8 are still here in 10.

Then they make us pay for an update that basically just adds plugins.

I'm done unless they fix their software. Making it actually CPU cores would be nice too.

It's kind of a weird company policy, I don't care about these plugins, I use vst plugins from Waves. They're reliable. Multi-core support and multi-threading as recommended. 64 bit alone means nothing if the program is not optimized in this respect The audio engine must be polished to the maximum.So what if the sound drops and crackles under higher CPU load, with few paths, vst and can not cope with lower latency. ASIO drivers are waiting for improvement.

LooneyBinJim wrote on 3/8/2020, 5:51 PM

Since Acid 8 i have been so happy to still be using Acid.Shame it taken so long 2 newer version to get something that really works.

I upgraded to v8 what a nightmare i made no music on v8 it saucked .Then a update and it seemed better then v9 arrived still buggy as but it was getting better.

Every year to the day (almost ).I was so unhappy and cheated

.Then 365 supscription 3 months v9 for £1 had to worth it ..

I have stuck with the 365 i will only take 3 months at a time its a little more expensive than a upgrade but i have seen 2 version changes and v10 does seem to be best so far

I will not buy Acid until it works with as it sould.#