Can you have privacy protection from a whois search?

jujuman12345 wrote on 10/8/2013, 4:56 PM

Hello, I am thinking about registering a domain name from magix and getting web hosting for the 1.99 a month, and was wondering if magix offers any privacy protection from a whois search. I would like to keep my information private. I know other hosting companies offer this service. Please let know. Thanks.

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 10/8/2013, 6:14 PM

Hi

AFAICS the answer is no.  All domain providers/resellers/registrars are required to provide a Whois query service which must contain, among other details, the following:

The name of the person to whom the domain is registered

The identity of Registrar

The name and postal address of the Registered Name holder

The name, postal address, e-mail address, voice telephone number, and (where available) fax number of the technical contact for the Registered Name

The name, postal address, e-mail address, voice telephone number, and (where available) fax number of the administrative contact for the Registered Name

In the past the data provide from the Whois referred to the domain name holder as 'Private Individual' however looking at the ICANN regulations AFAICS this is no longer possible - there are very obvious reasons why this data is required and must be available.

HTH

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 10/8/2013, 6:14 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

jujuman12345 wrote on 10/9/2013, 11:47 AM

John, most companies use a company called domainsbyproxy to hide your personal information in a whois search. Instead of your own personal information that shows up, it is the company called domainsbyproxy's information that shows up. I am wondering if magix provides a similar service like domainsbyproxy.

johnebaker wrote on 10/9/2013, 5:28 PM

Hi

. . . . most companies use a company called domainsbyproxy . . . .

That is a very broad sweeping statement !!!

In answer to your question do Magix provide this - you will need to ask Magix that question - this is a user forum..

HTH

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 10/9/2013, 5:28 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

gandjcarr wrote on 10/11/2013, 7:00 AM

Hi,

Typically you are offered privacy protection at check out when you purchase a domain.  Privacy protection simply means the the company you purchased the protection from displays its name instead of yours. So basically they are acting for you.

If you were not offered this option on check out then Magix likely does not offer it as a service.  As near as I can determine, Magix is using a managed service provider to handle the domain names as well as the hosting.  I first traced it back to:

Registrar: VAUTRON RECHENZENTRUM AG
 Whois Server: whois.antagus.de

Antagus.de is a domain reseller and if you type in "whois.antagus.de" into your browser you go to a company called tmagnic.net the registrar info for tmagnic.net is

Domain Name: TMAGNIC.NET
Registrar: CRONON AG
Whois Server: whois.cronon.net
Referral URL: http://www.cronon.net

Cronon AG is a manged services ISP.

A very convoluted stream, but it is pretty clear to me that if you want to add privacy, you need to contact Magix online directly and see if they can work through their domain reseller to get it.  If you understand German you could go to www.antagus.de and see if they offer the service, or you could just go to one of the large domain such as godaddy buy a new domain, purchase the privacy option and host your site there.

Good luck,

George