Can't upload my website

Penny-McCarthy wrote on 1/25/2022, 11:50 AM

I'm using Xara 18.5.0.63630  DL to design my website. I'm on Windows 11

I have two domain names registered with Magix - www.pennymccarthyfuneralcelebrant.co.uk and www.funeralcelebrantshropshire.co.uk and I've been through the process to 'purchase' the free hosting, but the option to upload my website via FTP is still greyed out in my Magix account.

I've been able to publish the website to the free Xara hosting and point pennymccarthyfuneralcelebrant.co.uk to it, but I do want to use my own domain name. I thought perhaps I needed to do it via the settings in Xara, so I've been attempting to follow the instructions in the Xara manual (p492). I'v tried using my domain name as the ftp address as well as the address suggested on this page in the help forum: https://www.magix.info/us/forum/i-want-to-know-what-the-ftp-settings-are-for-my-existing-magix-website--1000701/. Whatever I do I end up with the error message: 'FTP error: Couldn't connect to server'.

I would really appreciate some step by step instructions - I'm not a techy person and struggle somewhat with all of this and I wouldn't be at all surprised if I've done something that appears totally daft to anyone who knows what they're doing. I purchased Xara because of the integrated hosting facility and didn't realise that if I wanted to use my own domain name I would have work with FTP, so I would be really grateful if someone could explain it in a way a non expert can understand.

Many thanks guys.

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 1/25/2022, 2:45 PM

@Penny-McCarthy

Hi

Assuming you want both domain names to point to the same site, the second domain should also point to the Xara hosting location as the first domain name you pointed there.

You should be able to do this in your hosting control panel as you did for the first domain name.

The FTP upload does not need to be changed.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Penny-McCarthy wrote on 1/26/2022, 1:14 PM

HI John,

Many thanks for your response. The problem was that I didn't want to use the Xara hosting, as I wanted my domain name to show in the address bar when people visit. I've now been in touch with Magix support and it appears there's been some kind of mixup over the - somehow I'd got registered for Xara hosting instead of Magix hosting. It does all seem a bit complicated, but it looks as though it's going to get sorted out now.

Thanks again