Bug in Video Pro X 16

preacherallen wrote on 9/21/2024, 8:16 AM

I use two monitors with my Video Pro X. On one I put the program and on the second monitor I have a full screen Program Monitor. I go to program settings and check "Video output activated" and the program monitor appears on the second monitor. BUT once the program is shut down and then later started again there is no program monitor on the second monitor. So I have to go back into Program settings and UNCHECK "Video output activated" and click OK. Then go back into the settings again and recheck it and it appears and works just fine until the next time I turn the program off and start it then I have to do this all again. Why will it not recognize that I want it activated every time when it starts???

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 9/21/2024, 8:46 AM

@preacherallen

CAVEAT: I don't have two monitors so cannot be sure of this but I'm pretty certain that using the "Video Output activated" option is not the method by which one can use two monitors.

Rather, I think to do this is a setting within Windows Display Settings, where the user can designate which monitor is used for which specific purpose.

As such, I do not think this is a VPX16 bug, sorry!

I will tag @johnebaker since I know he has much greater expertise in this area than I.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Last changed by emmrecs on 9/21/2024, 8:47 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

browj2 wrote on 9/21/2024, 10:37 AM

@preacherallen

Hi,

I go to program settings and check "Video output activated" and the program monitor appears on the second monitor. 

That is for something else. Don't use it. Uncheck it.

The windows are all moveable/resizable. Simply drag the Preview Monitor (in the blank area at the top of each window) to wherever you want, to another screen and resize.

When you have the layout that you want, top menu, Window, Window Arrangement, Save. Give it a name. This will become shortcut F10, then next one F11, then F12. Any more and you have to use the menu to get the saved Window Arrangement.

Whatever is the layout when you quit VPX, is the layout that you get when you reopen.

Remember F9 gets you back to the default layout.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

preacherallen wrote on 9/21/2024, 2:23 PM

I know I can do that, BUT I want the small preview Window on the left with the rest of the program and then a full screen of it ALSO on the right monitror

preacherallen wrote on 9/21/2024, 2:26 PM

Also I already have the windows set up for dual monitor - and it might not be how to do it, BUT it does work in getting it where I want. My previous version (before I upgraded to 16 does keep the settings for each subsequent start. Ight try the Window Arrangement and see if that works.

johnebaker wrote on 9/21/2024, 4:08 PM

@preacherallen

Hi

. . . . I want the small preview Window on the left with the rest of the program

VPX has 2 monitors the Source and Program , which one do you mean?

. . . and then a full screen of it ALSO on the right monitror . . . .

I work on my PC with dual monitors and have the Source preview on the left showing the selected video clip in the Media pool, and the program interface, the Program preview on the right monitor full screen, as shown below, is showing the current position of the timeline cursor of the video clip on the timeline.

. . . . "Video output activated" . . . .

The above layout is without this option being set. The option is intended to provide a fullscreen version without any menu, transport controls or editing features, usually this would be pointed to a third monitor for this purpose.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

preacherallen wrote on 9/21/2024, 6:50 PM

This is what I want - the small Program screen is stacked on top of the Source screen with a little offset so I can switch between them and the Program screen is full screen on the right. I can do this using the video output activated but has to be reset every time a restart the program.

Also another Bug is found in the Screen Capture dialogue. It defaults to 15 frames per second and I have to reset it to 29.97 every time I use it. Even though the movie settings are 29.97.

johnebaker wrote on 9/21/2024, 8:08 PM

@preacherallen

Hi

Re the Activate video playback - from the manual:-

.... Activate video playback: With this option, you can display the project window view on an additionally connected monitor. Without additional hardware, you can play a preview in any mode in order to see how the final material looks....

What you are wanting is not dual screen working as it is usually defined and used, ie the Windows display settings are set to Extend or, in some cases, Replicate the primary screen to the second(ary).

Try turning off the Windows extending over to the second(ary) monitor to see if the second monitor (right in your image above then appears as a device after setting the Activate video playback option it should appear in the device the setting and hold after assigning the device to be used on restarts.

. . . . another Bug is found in the Screen Capture dialogue. It defaults to 15 frames per second and I have to reset it to 29.97 every time I use it. . . . .

I cannot replicate this, I find that the movie settings have no bearing upon the capture rate setting, which once set to a specific frame rate is maintained through subsequent restarts of VPX irrespective of what the project framerate is.

Are you using the indicated option

to open the Screen capture dialog

to set the frame rate.

If the above does not help, do other changes to the programs setting hold on restarts of VPX 16?

If they do not, then your Antivirus program realtime/folder protection feature may be blocking the saving of the changes to the programs configuration file.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

preacherallen wrote on 9/22/2024, 6:13 AM

Thanks for the information. I will try these things.

preacherallen wrote on 9/22/2024, 6:57 AM

Tried the above and neither worked.

This is my Program settings. The right screen is Monitor 1. When I restart the program these settings are checked, but no display on Monitor 1. When I uncheck "Video output activated" and click OK it closes, then I reopen it and check "Video output activated" and click OK the program monitor is displayed on Monitor 1 as it should be. I used the last version of Pro X for several years and never had to do this as it "held" every time I closed the program and reopened it. I tried turning "extend off" in windows and that messed my normal displays up as I use the entire 2 monitors for my opening screen and it did not effect what Pro X did.

As for the other Bug here is what I get:

The above was reached the way you said to (which is the way I had been doing it). Note that I have changed the frame rate to 29.97. I make a screen capture and then immediately go back to take another screen capture and when I open the dialogue box I get this

Note that the frame rate has defaulted back to 15 frames per second. I have to change it back to 29.97 every single time I use it.

Any more thoughts about how to correct this?

preacherallen wrote on 9/22/2024, 7:03 AM

I forgot to say that this Program Settings does show the second Monitor even in Extend View in Windows.

preacherallen wrote on 9/22/2024, 10:10 AM

I tried something after looking closely at your screen grab. I saw you had a much lower resolution than I had so I tried that and it stayed on 29.97. I then increased the resolution to what I was using and it again held at 29.97. Not sure what that did to the setting, but it seems to be working correctly now. Still have the screen problem though.

johnebaker wrote on 9/22/2024, 12:32 PM

@preacherallen

Hi

. . . . Not sure what that did to the setting, but it seems to be working correctly now . . . .

Odd, however if it works then all is good.

I have managed to replicate the screen problem, ie the display not showing until you reset the Activate video playback option, I got access to another display device.

It would appear that the display is not being 'triggered' correctly when starting VPX.

John EB

preacherallen wrote on 9/22/2024, 12:52 PM

probably true But it sure is annoying.