Comments

emmrecs wrote on 4/26/2021, 4:55 AM

@Hans-ster

Welcome to the Magix user to user forums.

A quick check of the system requirements for PS Deluxe 2021, here, shows it is not really designed to work with Win 7; Win 8 is the stated minimum. I suspect the problem you are experiencing might be because of this.

However, can you show us a screenshot of the Additional Content download screen?

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Hans-ster wrote on 4/26/2021, 6:46 PM

I solved the problem. I used controlpanel to uninstall everything related to Photostory Deluxe, then i manually cleaned the registry from leftovers related to photostory deluxe. There were hundrefs of keys and values related to photostory (poorly written uninstallers by Magix). After that I reinstalled Photostory Deluxe and everything worked. I could download and install all free content. I can confirm that Photostory Deluxe runs just fine on Windows 7

emmrecs wrote on 4/27/2021, 6:55 AM

@Hans-ster

Just to set the record straight, your assertion

There were hundrefs of keys and values related to photostory (poorly written uninstallers by Magix)

is more than a little unfair!

As with many other programs, the installer log which is created on initial installation, contains full details of everything that is part of that installation. It does not, and cannot, include any details of files, folders or registry entries which are created on first and subsequent runs of the software because it does not know of their existence!.

That is why several of us here always recommend using something like the free Revo Uninstaller to ensure everything connected with the previous installation is successfully removed.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Hans-ster wrote on 4/27/2021, 7:20 AM

Thanks for your comments Jeff. I bought Revo uninstaller Pro 4. I will be using that for every install from now on. And to be fair i have been using Magix Photostory for several years and there were leftovers in the registry from many installations. If someone else besides me have the same problems as I had (downloading and installing free content) it's a good idea to clean the registry manually for leftovers of Photostory. Something in the registry prevented me from downloading and installing free content...

emmrecs wrote on 4/27/2021, 8:13 AM

@Hans-ster

Thanks for the updated reply.

Yes, I too have Revo Uninstaller Pro 4 and find it invaluable. I tend to make use of its installation logging capability, i.e. launching the installation of almost every new software I install by using the right-click context menu "Install with Revo Uninstaller Pro". This launches Revo prior to then starting the installer for the new software; the resulting log which it creates seems, to me at least, to make any subsequent uninstall quick, easy and almost 100% guaranteed to remove everything connected with the app I wish to uninstall.

Jeff