Best way to convert MTS files to DVD with minimal loss of quality

theduke wrote on 9/23/2009, 5:57 PM
Hello All

I hope that all is well in the world of editing.

I am trying to get an understanding of what setting I should be using for producing a DVD of a wedding that was shot using a JVC Everio DZ-HD30 camera where the files are in the MTS format. I have some specfic questions

1. What settings should I use to import the footage. I am assuming that i should use the HDTV 1920x1080i settings?

2. When it comes to converting the footage what settings would yield the greatest output quality bearing in mind that I need the footage to be burned to DVD for playback in a standard dvd player.

On a slightly different subject is there any specific hints or tips that anyone has for producing smooth slow motion within Magix. When I slow down footage on a shot that has had the tripod locked off it looks ok however if I slow down footage where there has been a panning shot or if the zoom has been used the footage is jerky. I have imported the same footage into Adobe Premiere and applied a brightness filter and it plays back perfectly. Is there anyway to ensure smooth playback within Magix?

I would be very grateful indeed for any help on these topics.

Kind Regards

The Duke

Comments

Clevo wrote on 9/24/2009, 12:44 AM
Let me pre-empt as to not being an MMEPro user

I'm not very familiar with your video camera but the MTS format is the AVCHD using the H.264 codec. Your camera also can record in M-peg 2 format which would have been ideal if you intend making DVD's

The best way to import it is to move the video file from your Camera hard drive to your PC harddrive and import from there or straight from your video camera if it is recognised...treat the video camera like it's an external hard drive.

DVD standards are pretty straight forward and are  either 4:3 or anamorphic 16:9 aspect ratio MPEG-2 video, stored at a resolution of 720×480 (NTSC) or 720×576 (PAL) at 29.97, 25. And that's about it.

The bit rate varies with DVD but the maximum is 8000bps which is a big drop from the HD format which can vary from 18000bps to 24000bps. the 8000bps includes the audio sample rates. DVD bit rate below 6500 and you will start noticing a degredation. VHS I believe is much lower still.

Bit rate also determins size of your DVD file and therefore you can expand the length of video stored on a DVD by altering the bit rate.

So to answer you questions:

1) Leave it at natural format and import directly

2) DVD m-peg 2, see above if PAl or NTSC, bit rate minimum 8000 variable (you can try constant). If MMEPro allows you to create an iso file then I would be more inclined to use that (in case you want to make copies later on)

Beware though from AVCHD to SD DVD mpeg2 standard is a big drop in quality but because you are starting from an excellent source you should end up with excellent quality SD DVD.

I'm looking forward to your report on your results...

I can;t answer your slo mo questions...I'm not a MMEpro user

theduke wrote on 9/24/2009, 9:12 AM
Hi Clevo

Many thanks indeed for your response. I have been trying different settings and what you mentioned is what I have been doing. I know the camera has the ability to shoot in mpeg but I found that the TOD files it produced caused my system to crash so I stayed with the AVCHD. I will need to look a this further.

Again thank you so much again for your response

Kind Regards

The Duke