Beatmapper configuration

brian-g1160 wrote on 7/13/2022, 6:52 AM

I am working to purchase the proper software for my musical experiments and productions. While I have seen posts advocating for Sound Forge Pro and Acid Pro, I am more concerned about the underlying software for mapping audio wave files (and ogg, mp3, wma, etc.).

If Beatmapper configures the sound file for Acid Pro 11, how do I unconfigure the mapping if I am not happy with the results ? Should I remove the .sfk files generated and then start over on a new sound file ? I have noticed that for similar but slightly different wave files, the Beatmapper has already configured the similar sounding wave file into its database.

Comments

sheppo wrote on 7/14/2022, 7:28 AM

hi @brian-g1160

There isn't a database. sfk files are used across several different magix applications (the naming is a hangover from when Sonic Foundry were caretakers of the Vegas, Acid, Soundforge product suite). Some of it is shared, if i remember correctly, such as peak information (a cache of what the audio file visually looks like so it can be more quickly represented on the timeline), and in Acid's case it can store information like beatmapper config, loop settings, so on and so forth. You can see what data is stored in an SFK by opening the Acid explorer menu from the view menu, then browsing to the location of a media file you have previously opened, and then selecting it and right clicking and selecting view properties.

If you're not happy with the beatmapping it is possible to edit it in Acid and tweak it to your liking. I put together a video for another forum question some time ago which shows how to edit beatmapping after running the beatmapping wizard - skip to the ~10minute mark

Alternatively, you can delete the .sfk file. At no point does anything you do in Acid affect the original media file though. For me I just keep those .sfk files hanging around for ever :)