Comments

emmrecs wrote on 1/12/2020, 7:21 AM

@Kath-Eleveld

Welcome to the Magix forums.

How is Photo Manager to be certain that each "duplicate" it finds is one that you wish to delete and how is it to know exactly which one of the pair has to go?

I realise that sound a little facetious but you are, essentially, asking PM to make decisions that even a human may not always find easy. So, the answer to your question, thankfully in my opinion, is No.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

KvotheDoUrden wrote on 6/12/2020, 7:13 PM

@emmrecs - What if I just want the program to locate the duplicate images? I wouldn't want the program to auto delete duplicates for me, but it would be nice to know if duplicates exist so that I can delete them myself. This was essentially the only reason that I purchased this product.

emmrecs wrote on 6/13/2020, 3:42 AM

@KvotheDoUrden

Welcome to the Magix forums.

Please re-read carefully my previous reply. Photo Manager locates any duplicates, it does not delete them, only you can do that.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

KvotheDoUrden wrote on 6/13/2020, 12:40 PM

@emmrecs - I did read your last response to the other person. Your comment does not answer my question which is why I responded. Please re read my last response as you clearly didn’t understand what I asked the first time. I didn’t ask for pictures to be deleted. I just want the program to locate all duplicates in my files, so that I can manage them.

THANK YOU

emmrecs wrote on 6/13/2020, 12:52 PM

@KvotheDoUrden

I can only quote to you exactly what I wrote in my last reply:

Photo Manager locates any duplicates, it does not delete them, only you can do that.

I don't think I can make the answer to your question any clearer than that!

Jeff

KvotheDoUrden wrote on 6/13/2020, 1:02 PM

@emmrecs Are you a bot? I did not ask you to delete the pictures. I want to know how to locate all duplicate pictures uploaded.

browj2 wrote on 6/13/2020, 1:25 PM

@KvotheDoUrden

As far as I can tell, if you mean that does the program search for and only show where there is one or more identical filenames, then, no, it does not find only duplicates.

If you simply get a listing of all files on your computer, put them in alphabetical order, then you can scroll down to see if there are duplicate filenames. That does not mean that the photos are actually duplicates. You need to show other criteria, like date created or file size.

There are search filters to search for particular sequences, like, search in the name field for images with "scan" in the filename. Again, you get a listing of all files with containing the filter, and you can scroll down the list to see if there are duplicates.

Or you can search for duplicates of a particular filename. Select an image, Search, click on Search for duplicates, in all photo files and it will find if there is a duplicate, but only by filename.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

emmrecs wrote on 6/13/2020, 1:39 PM

@KvotheDoUrden

I am most definitely not a bot. Please read the Community rules, to be found in the footer of any forum page, about the type of language which is acceptable. If you continue to use potentially insulting words your access to the forums will be withdrawn without any further warning.

I did read the question you posed in your first post:  What if I just want the program to locate the duplicate images?  To which I responded, and made even clearer in my second reply to you: Photo Manager locates any duplicates, it does not delete them, only you can do that.  In other words, Photo Manager finds them; you decide what to do with them.

Now it seems that you are asking what is actually a different question: I want to know how to locate all duplicate pictures uploaded.  Notice the key, different word, how. All the previous posts to this thread ask whether it is possible to find duplicates with Photo Manager; now you are asking exactly how this is done, which is most definitely not the same question.

The "how to do this" can be found in the installed Help file. I post below a screenshot of the page from that Help file, found by putting "Duplicates" in the Search box:

You will need to take some time with this since it requires you to select an image in Photo Manager, then tell the program exactly where, on your computer, to search.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

KvotheDoUrden wrote on 6/13/2020, 1:56 PM

@browj2 Thank you for trying to help me with my question without being condescending. I appreciate your advice.