Audio File Format Error Message

mellotronworker wrote on 4/4/2019, 12:04 AM

Halfway through working on a project I save it and quit Acid Pro (v8.0.8.29/64). Everything was playing fine and seemed OK.

On re-opening it I get this incomprehensible error message:

Can someone tell me what it actually means? (The file name scrolling off out of sight to the right isn't helpful either!)

Thanks.

Comments

sheppo wrote on 4/4/2019, 7:38 AM

hi @mellotronworker. "Type and number of streams" would, i assume mean whether the file was mono, stereo, or higher. A lot of newer audio files are actually containers with streams of data in them. In the video world a stream could be video, audio, subtitles, text, etc.

It sounds like the file has been changed in between sessions, somehow. I think only you can answer that.

If the file name isn't something you recognise you can probably safely ignore it, and remove it from your project.

mellotronworker wrote on 4/4/2019, 4:13 PM

> It sounds like the file has been changed in between sessions, somehow. I think only you can answer that.

It wasn't. I shut the project down and restarted it within about a minute. Nothing had changed in the interim.

A mystery!

> If the file name isn't something you recognise you can probably safely ignore it, and remove it from your project.

Well, as I said, that's part of the problem too...I can't see it.

johnebaker wrote on 4/5/2019, 4:24 AM

@mellotronworker

Hi

First I have not used Acid for many years, however the file path in the error message:

C:\Music Composition\ Acid projects\ . . . .

does not look like a standard default installation path - is this a custom path you have created?

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

mellotronworker wrote on 4/5/2019, 4:32 AM

That's not the installation path - that;'s where I keep the projects. Acid itself is installed in the standard location.

johnebaker wrote on 4/5/2019, 4:49 AM

@mellotronworker

Hi.

I was modifying my reply, when I saw you had posted back, to be more specific ie ' default installation path ' to read 'default installation path for the project folder'.

. . . . that;'s where I keep the projects . . . .

I would assume then that you have moved the project folder from its normal location inside the Documents folder.

If so this is not good practice and can (rarely) result in loss of data if Windows updates are applied - the Documents folder is a protected folder which is not affected by updates.

A long shot is that Windows Defender has been updated and turned on Folder protection which is blocking access, by the program, to the folder.

What is the file name and extension that is detailed in the error message?

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

mellotronworker wrote on 4/7/2019, 1:53 PM

@johnebaker

> I would assume then that you have moved the project folder from its normal location inside the Documents folder.

I have, yes.

> If so this is not good practice and can (rarely) result in loss of data if Windows updates are applied - the Documents folder is a protected folder which is not affected by updates.

Really? Under what circumstances might this happen? Why would Windows interfere with a folder like this?

> A long shot is that Windows Defender has been updated and turned on Folder protection which is blocking access, by the program, to the folder.

Sorry, but no - everything is kept in this folder structure. If it was blocking one file then it would block the entire project.

> What is the file name and extension that is detailed in the error message?

No idea. The text does not scroll and the error box cannot be expanded.