Aspect ratio changes when cropping with Photo Designer external editor and then viewing in PhotoStory

Erbgins wrote on 9/29/2012, 10:12 AM

When I need to crop a photo included in a PhotoStory, I right click it and then select "image editing (external)." This opens the original picture in Photo Designer, where I can crop it and otherwise edit it. Then, when I save the edited picture, I have a choice to save a copy or overwrite the original.  If I overwrite the original, it saves the file and updates the picture in my PhotoStory to reflect the change.  However, the aspect ratio in the picture in my PhotoStory is wrong - typically, the pictures look short and fat.  If I delete the picture from the PhotoStory and then add it again from the original, it looks perfect.  But that is an extra step that defeats the purpose of overwriting the original, and for a large PhotoStory drawing from many sets of originals it can be hard to even find the original to perform this trick.  I tried exiting PhotoStory and restarting it, but it retained the distored image.

Is there a better workaround to this problem?

Thanks.

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 9/30/2012, 12:46 PM

Hi

I do not have Photostory installed anymore however, IIRC, you can use Movement effects, Section to crop the image without using an external editor.

More information is in the installed manual

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 9/30/2012, 12:47 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

tictac wrote on 1/30/2013, 9:47 AM

I had the same early problem which I resolved by setting up a project photo file, thus starting by copying the photos that I had decided to use in my project and hence retaining all originals. Then in PhotoStory 10 which I have I simply use the photos in the copy file. If any need adjustment of any sort including cropping, I use Premiere Photoshop 9 saving changes to the copy file either overiding the existing copy or creating a changed number, generally by adding an `a` after the existing number so that the two photos are kept together, or `overwrite`  if the change is slight and definite.   I do find that results are far better on aspect 4:3 than 16:9 and hence ensure that no photo is `adjusted` when putting it on the Timeline basic. Hope this helps in some small way.