Applying for Copyright of a Song containing Loops

dmstar1956 wrote on 3/14/2024, 6:16 AM

I'm applying for copyright of a song I composed.

One of the questions asked in the application is when was the song released. It hasn't been released yet; that happens on 4-15-24. But I've already completed the process of registering the song, and CD Baby has inspected/approved the song, issued an ISRC# for it, and begun delivering the song to various music platforms.

Should I enter that as the 'release date' even though its in the future, or answer NO, it has not been released yet?

Another question in the application asks about the Author and his contributions to the song regarding Lyrics, Sound Recording and Music. Should I say all three? Just the Sound Recording and Music? Or just the Sound Recording?

Then the next question in the application asks about Pre-Existing Content and these are the choices:

My registration includes a cover song. NO
My registration includes pre-existing content that was not created by the authors I listed. ?????
My registration includes previously copyrighted content. ?????

WHICH IS THE CORRECT ANSWER?

If I answer YES to any of these choices, then the following questions are asked:

1. What parts of your registration were NOT created by the authors:

Sound Recording + Composition (Lyrics, Music)
  Sound Recording Only
  Music
Lyrics

2. If your registration contains previously registered content, provide the registration number(s)

Is Magix Music Maker content previously registered content? ?????

3. What parts of your registration were created by the authors?

Sound Recording + Composition (Lyrics, Music)
  Sound Recording Only
  Music
  Lyrics

Comments

SP. wrote on 3/14/2024, 10:12 AM

@dmstar1956 These forms are usually not made for songs based on loops. Revenue gets split between authors and musicians. That's why they are asking who did what. If the authors also do vocals or play instruments then they wouldn't get any money if they wouldn't be listed. Same with additional musicians. If they are not listed they don't get any money. If you use a part of another song for a remix or a cover you must always list the original rights holders so they get paid.

I recommend you contact customer support at infoservice@magix.net and ask them for clarification.