Application Not Working

Aura-Stewart wrote on 6/23/2022, 2:21 PM

Since the last update of Xara Designer Pro I am not able to use the application. I have reinstalled the application 3 times. Reinstalling the application does not fix the problem. Issues.

1. When opening the application, it looks like it is opening just to close immediately.
  2. Opening a file does not work, neither when using the option File > Open, nor when clicking on the file directly. If I try several times, the application eventually stays open. However, I am not able to open existing files. When trying to open a file, I get the following message, regardless the method used.

1. After trying to opening a file, the whole application freezes. It is like clicking on an image.

Software:

I am using Windows 11.

PS: I never had an issue until yesterday.

Could you please tell me what I can do to fix the issue? Thank you for your assistance.

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 6/26/2022, 8:35 AM

@Aura-Stewart

Hi

. . . . Since the last update of Xara Designer Pro I am not able to use the application. I have reinstalled the application 3 times. Reinstalling the application does not fix the problem . . . .

This rarely fixes issues unless the files, registry entries left behind by the un-installer are also removed.

Using Revo Uninstaller Free will also remove what is left behind, however before going down that route again.

. . . . When opening the application, it looks like it is opening just to close immediately. Opening a file does not work, neither when using the option File > Open, nor when clicking on the file directly. . . . .

I assume the closing immediately only occurred once as you can use File, Open - is this correct?

Check that your Antivirus program is not blocking Designer Pro from accessing folders by temporarily turning off the Folder / Ransomware protection feature. If this works, add an exception in the protection feature to all Designer Pro access.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Aura-Stewart wrote on 6/27/2022, 6:09 PM

John,

Thank you very much for your answer. Before receiving your instructions I installed Xara Designer Pro+ v. 21 (I did not know about its existence) and removed Xara Designer Pro (v. 19). With the new application I was observing the same issues, so I applied the solution you provided above with no resolution of the problem.

I am including an attachment with my observations.

Now I can open some files, not all of them. When I try to open one of those files that I cannot, I get an error message. and the application freezes. The only way I have for getting out of the situation is by closing all the windows. The files giving me error are always the same.

I did not experience this time the instantaneous closing of the application.

Thoughts?

Thank you again! Aura

SP. wrote on 6/27/2022, 6:19 PM

@Aura-Stewart I had a software freezing issue with a different program some days ago and the culprit was my graphics card driver. I uninstalled it and then everything ran fine. Windows automatically reinstalled the driver but in a different version. Now everything works.

It could be helpful if you look in the Windows Event Log for the crashes. Maybe there is some helpful information. Another very helpful program is Pocess Monitor which records all events on your computer. You could run it with a filter on your Xara Designer EXE file and record what happens during the crash.

Then you could also try and ask for help in the TalkGraphics.com forum and you could ask Xara Customer support. I saw on your screenshots that you use Xara Designer Pro+. This version isn't sold by Magix but directly by Xara so Magix isn't responsible for support in this case.