Any Good Compressor / Reverb / Delay / EQ /...Whatever Settings

mattj wrote on 5/5/2009, 8:18 PM
Hi.  A lot of the other recording / Effect forums I'm on have a place for a list of good effects settings for various recording situations.  That way, you don't have to fiddle around endlessly with all the hundreds of effects knobs, but can stand on the shoulders of Giants *...of the home recording movement...*  I can't seem to find such an area here on the site, so if there is one could anyone direct me to it?  If not, why not start such a one here?

Here's an example!!!  The stuff I tweak to get the sound I want is listed.  Everything else not listed is not used or altered for the track I'm currently tweaking...

This is what I use for most of my Distorted Rythm Guitar Recordings for Punk / Metal Stuff.  You may not like it, but it sounds good to me XD.

1)  Plug Guitar straight into Line In.  No amps or anything necessary.

2)  Under "Sound Effects" in the Plug in Box in the Track Editor...
.....Compressor : Threshold(-7db) / Ratio(2.1) / Attack (20ms) / Release (20ms) / Gain (-10db)
.....Reverb : Size (3ms) / Time (175ms) / Color (.90) / Mix (70%)
.....Amp Simulation : American Lead / Closed 2X12 / Low (62) / Mid (75) / High (72) / Bright (off) / Distortion (58) / Volume (90)

3)  Under the Dynamics Title in the Plug in Box in the Track Editor...
.....Distortion Pedal : Low (0%) / Drive (100%) / High (0%)

Notes...
...I usually copy my distorted rythm guitar track and paste it on an identical track below it and set one panned like +45 and the other panned like -45.  This seeeeeems to smooth things out a bit.
...This sounds TEEEEEEEERRRRRRIBLE alone, but all my musician friends seem to like it when it's all mixed together.

Comments

NoTurning wrote on 5/5/2009, 10:56 PM
Hi,
That is an almost impossible task because everybody has different equipment, strings and etc. What sounds good for one person will NOT sound good for another. Sound is SO subjective that you can't create settings that work for everyone. That's what Mixing/Mastering engineers do.

With that being said; I did write an article in the Knowledge and Workshop area that covers some common EQ settings that will help quite a bit.

Justin