All projects are gone

Philip-Hall wrote on 7/20/2020, 6:58 PM

Not sure. May have accidently reset all settings. All of my projects are gone. Hundreds of hours of work. Have tried everything I can think of including recently opened projects and automatically saved projects. Nothing to be found anywhere. Also, Media pool menu reset itself and can no longer access pictures and music from my computer. I am deeply discouraged.

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 7/21/2020, 4:22 AM

@Philip-Hall

I am deeply discouraged.

Understandable, but even if you have reset all settings of the program that would not remove, i.e. delete, all of [your] projects.

So, let's take this a step at a time. First, please read this post and tell us a lot more about your computer and the exact version of Photostory which you have.

Second, where did you store the .MVP project files for each of your completed projects? If you go to File>Settings>Program (shortcut Y) and look at the Paths tab, what does it say for "Projects"? Have you checked that location? What is there? If you previously set up some different location to the default PS one, have you also checked there?

Have you at any time recently reset Windows itself? If you have, did you also select the option to leave all your files and folders untouched?

Are all the photos etc. used in your projects still in the locations where you originally saved them?

Sorry to ask so many questions but, as fellow-users, we clearly cannot see your computer and must depend upon you to help us to help you!

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Philip-Hall wrote on 7/21/2020, 9:01 AM

Thank you for your prompt reply. I resolved the media pool problem by resetting the program. If I click the red button that says "NEW", all I can get out of the media pool is a picture of a rat staring at me with text that says NO FILES FOUND. Resetting the program got rid of that. So, I am back to normal on the media pool.. Good.

As for the lost programs, I was able to find one of them in my files, the other I have burned to a disk, so I can retrieve it.

The big program that I have been working on for two weeks is definitely gone. I have talked myself down from the ledge and will simply start over. I am going to call it a lesson learned. Just a suggestion, it seems that Reset all Settings should have a text caution that says "Do you really want to do this? You will lose any work you have done to this point."

Here's a question: If I had cut the program would that have kept me from losing everything?

Philip-Hall wrote on 7/21/2020, 9:08 AM

Oh, by the way. I did follow your instructions for File>Settings>Program, but unfortunately to no avail. Also, I have not had any Windows issues. My pictures and music are all still in the computer files. Again, thanks for your reply.

browj2 wrote on 7/21/2020, 9:27 AM

@Philip-Hall

Hi,

I don't understand what you mean when you say that your projects are gone. If you mean that your projects don't show up under recently opened projects, that has nothing to do with your project files being or not being on your computer.

Which version do you have?

If you saved your projects under your documents and not in the program files, then they will still be there - unless you deleted the folders or the files.

By default, projects are stored under:

C:\Documents\MAGIX\Photostory Premium VR\Projects

where the Photostory Premium VR where this will be the version of PhotoStory that you actually have. If you saved to a different location, then you have to go to that location.

Look in the Program settings, Paths tab for where your projects go by default. Use Windows Explorer and navigate there to see if your project files are there. PhotoStory project files all have the extension .MPH. Search for these MPH files with Windows Explorer if you don't know where you saved your project files.

Where is this "New" red button that you mention? We can't see your screen, obviously. Here is mine.

As for your question "If I had cut the program would that have kept me from losing everything?" I have no idea what you are talking about. Cut the program? What does that mean?

PhotoStory does not delete files - YOU delete files. Anything that you delete from the Media Pool will be deleted from your hard drive.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Philip-Hall wrote on 7/21/2020, 10:17 AM

As a result of working hard on your suggestions, I was finally able to retrieve my project. Success! Thank you so much. You all have been very helpful. I have put a lot of time into my project using the many features in Photostory Deluxe, so recovery of the program was important to me. I am very pleased.

By the way, when I said "Cut" the program, I meant to say "Split" the program.

Thanks,

Phil H.

browj2 wrote on 7/21/2020, 10:20 AM

@Philip-Hall

Hi,

Glad you found your project. Make sure to always have everything backed up. Disks can fail - I have a couple of those.

"Split" the program doesn't mean anything to me. Please explain exactly what you mean.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Philip-Hall wrote on 7/21/2020, 10:33 AM

Splitting the program is explained on page 35 of the on line Photostory Deluxe manual. I have copied an pasted it here for you.

Split slideshow This command splits the slideshow at the point where the start marker is positioned, making two separate slideshows. Note: You can use this function if you wish to include chapter menus and if your slideshow already contains over 99 photos. Otherwise, only every second or third photo (depending on the number of photos) in the chapter menu, as the number of menu entries is technically limited to 99.

Regarding the red button that messes up my media pool: It is located at the top of the media pool menu next to "Photo Explorer". I most definitely jams things up for me. Not a problem, I just go back to the default set up.

Here's a question: What would be the process if I wanted to upgrade my version of Photostory Deluxe to the Photostory Deluxe Travel, i.e. the version that has the Indiana Jones animation of showing your travel route on a map?

Phil

browj2 wrote on 7/21/2020, 10:48 AM

@Philip-Hall

Thanks for the explanation. You said "Splitting the program" which is definitely not the same as splitting the slideshow. The program is PhotoStory.

Please post a screen shot showing the red button. Look at my image - no red button.

John CB

John C.B.

Philip-Hall wrote on 7/21/2020, 11:48 AM

John, I pasted the screen shot in an e-mail reply. I could not figure how to paste the screen shot in this link. Let me know if you received it.

johnebaker wrote on 7/21/2020, 11:52 AM

@Philip-Hall

Hi

. . . . . All of my projects are gone. Hundreds of hours of work. . . . . I was finally able to retrieve my project . . . . Split slideshow This command splits the slideshow at the point where the start marker is positioned, making two separate slideshows. . . . .

Are you working with one project only ie:

1. open saved project add new media etc
  2. divide off new part
  3. save project
  4. repeat 1 to 3 again and again

thus the project grows larger and larger?

. . . . Splitting the program is explained on page 35 of the on line Photostory Deluxe manual. . . . .

There is some confusion here - in Photostory Deluxe, the term is Divide slideshow and is on page 28 of the manual, and in the program under the Edit, Wizards menu.

As has been requested by @emmrecs which version of Photostory are you using as found under Help, About

. . . . if I wanted to upgrade my version of Photostory Deluxe to the Photostory Deluxe Travel . . . .

The correct program name is Photostory Traveler - you get an add-on content pack with more than 500 travel-themed design elements, songs and sounds.

Please help avoid confusion by using the correct names for the program and also give the version number as found under Help, About .

@browj2

. . . . screen shot showing the red button . . . .

@Philip-Hall is referring to this

Which also reappears for me when reverting to Classic view in Photostory Deluxe - AFAICS there has been no mention that the VR version is being used..

John EB
Forum Moderator

Last changed by johnebaker on 7/21/2020, 11:52 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Philip-Hall wrote on 7/21/2020, 12:05 PM

Apologies for using sloppy terminology. I have Magix Photostory Deluxe Version 19.0.2.46(UDP3) Code UG8664 KA2

Another question, if I may. If I upgrade to Photostory Traveler will the project I am currently working on cleanly walk over from my current version to the new Photostory Traveler?

Thanks,

Phil

johnebaker wrote on 7/21/2020, 12:11 PM

@Philip-Hall

Hi Phil

Thanks for clarification of the program and version.

. . . . I upgrade to Photostory Traveler will the project I am currently working on cleanly walk over from my current version to the new Photostory Traveler . . .

Yes - there is no difference in the Photostory program itself, you should only need to download and install the extra add-ons..

Are you using projects as I listed above?

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 7/21/2020, 12:16 PM, changed a total of 5 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Philip-Hall wrote on 7/21/2020, 12:19 PM

I have one or two more questions, however, I have to take my wife to a doctor appointment. I will pick it up on my return. Thanks.

browj2 wrote on 7/21/2020, 12:29 PM

@johnebaker

Thanks for posting the screen shot. That must be new as I don't have the Photo Explorer. Is the New actually a button or just noting that the Photo Explorer thing is new?

@Philip-Hall

There is an upload button, third from the right (left of the smiley face) when you reply to a thread.

John CB

John C.B.

johnebaker wrote on 7/21/2020, 4:37 PM

@browj2

Hi John

. . . . Is the New actually a button or just noting that the Photo Explorer thing is new . . . .

It is just indicating the option is new.

John EB