ACID Pro 8 / 9 / Next - public beta versions October, 25

Comments

Matt-Francis wrote on 11/7/2019, 7:22 PM

OK, just had my first problem. Loaded up a project that uses the plug in called GLITCH by Illformed. I have the original free 32 bit version. The pattern that was saved with the project completely disappeared and went back to the default. A real bummer because the pattern I had was perfect and I can't recreate it. As I couldn't save or load presets on the previous version of AP8 it's lost forever. I saved the new pattern I created as a preset but I'm worried it will happen again with other projects that use GLITCH.

Former user wrote on 11/8/2019, 2:18 PM

Always backup before you open projects in a new version of the software, especially Beta software.

I can't even believe anyone would do this.

I'm getting the feeling that 98% of the people using ACID Pro are not producers on a Professional Level. They're more hobbyists. Because most professionals keep their plugins up-to-date and aren't relying on decade old 32-Bit plugins... and they certainly keep backups an don't load production sessions into Beta software without doing so (esp. when the primary issue with the software is the types of plugins they use NOT working properly - if at all).

This sounds like all of the people on Reddit who upgraded to macOS Catalina, and now want to blame the software developers for their bad decision making, because now half of their audio plugins won't function.

clackey wrote on 11/9/2019, 8:10 AM

i have to agree. also, some people have to realize what a monumental task it was re writing old code to bring the program up to date.i own 4 other daws and none have ever been smooth sailing at the beginning of an update.

mellotronworker wrote on 11/9/2019, 11:48 AM

@Former user

> Most of those plugins have 64-Bit versions, so just use those.

Most but not all. Also, buying the 64 bit versions costs money. They work in REAPER, they don't work - or even scan - in ACID. Remind me which product is causing all the problems?

> At some point, the onus is on the user to keep their plugins up to date.

I also think there is at least some onus of the DAW manufacturer to provide a working product. ACID hasn't worked since v8 first came out. And anyway - if these 'don't work' then why are they supported at all? What a high-handed attitude to take!

> Also, the standard installation directory for 32-Bit VST Plugins is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins. Try moving the data to there (or adding a Link in that folder) and see if the VST scanner reacts differently:

It makes no difference. (It has also worked in that folder since v2 of ACID. Has something changed?)

Greg-Elkins wrote on 11/9/2019, 5:36 PM

Is there some sort of trick to scanning 64 bit VST2 plugins? I can't get it to happen no matter what I do. Force rebuild doesn't do it. The folders are there in the utility and it (the utility) indicates that it is scanning them but it goes by so quickly that it appears that it's not actually happening. All VST3 plugins are showing up but no VST2 which means that I can't use many of my plugins. Very frustrating. Any tips would be appreciated? Perhaps there's a preferences file to be trashed or some other non-obvious solution? Thanks!

Former user wrote on 11/9/2019, 10:35 PM

@Former user

> Most of those plugins have 64-Bit versions, so just use those.

Most but not all. Also, buying the 64 bit versions costs money. They work in REAPER, they don't work - or even scan - in ACID. Remind me which product is causing all the problems?

> At some point, the onus is on the user to keep their plugins up to date.

I also think there is at least some onus of the DAW manufacturer to provide a working product. ACID hasn't worked since v8 first came out. And anyway - if these 'don't work' then why are they supported at all? What a high-handed attitude to take!

> Also, the standard installation directory for 32-Bit VST Plugins is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins. Try moving the data to there (or adding a Link in that folder) and see if the VST scanner reacts differently:

It makes no difference. (It has also worked in that folder since v2 of ACID. Has something changed?)

If your plugins are so old that they didn't ship with a 64-Bit version, then MAGIX honestly should just ignore them. That's on you. Use the 32-Bit build of the DAW for them, if they're that important.

Windows 10 supports 32-Bit apps, but if an app doesn't work on the current OS, you can't expect Microsoft to waste inordinate amounts of development time that can be put towards improving the product for now and the future... not just cobbling together fixes for people's 10 year old 32-bit applications.

It's unreasonable.

Professionals need to be more professional about how they manage their stuff. Plugins are like a violinist's bow. You don't show up with an old mediocre bow and then complain to the violin shop that it's shredding your strings and producing awful tones.

Hobbyists need to take it more serious, if they want to get serious about problems.

There are far more important things this software needs than support for deprecated, out of support plugins built for - practically - a dead architecture.

mellotronworker wrote on 11/10/2019, 4:53 AM

@Former user

>> Hobbyists need to take it more serious, if they want to get serious about problems.

I have. I moved to REAPER and everything works straight out of the box. I'm only here because I paid for ACID and still have a current licence for it and don't have much time for paying for products that don't work. If Magix had a refund policy that worked then I'd take it and be out of here in a flash, leaving you to your weird theories.

Also -

@Greg-Elkins said:

>> Is there some sort of trick to scanning 64 bit VST2 plugins? I can't get it to happen no matter what I do. Force rebuild doesn't do it.

This is the same issue as I am facing. It's not some drivel about prehistoric architecture; it's about ACID not being able to scan directories and process the content. That is - as I said at the start of this thread - fundamental stuff.

If they say they support something then they should support it, if not then they should say that too. It's not sticking to the advertising that is what bothers me the most. If Magix wants to refund me on v8 and v9 then I'll be delighted as nothing seems to work, unlike my cash which worked perfectly fine.

Greg-Elkins wrote on 11/10/2019, 10:07 AM

Fortunately, Acid isn't my main DAW. I picked it up on sale last week after remembering having fun with it many years ago. My idea was to Rewire into Pro Tools and use it to make mangled loops and such but it defeats the purpose a bit if I can't get to some of my plugins. Luckily my expectations are low but it would still be nice if it functioned properly.

I happen to have almost identical computer setups at home and studio and, strangely, Acid scans the suspect folders fine on my studio computer but fails to scan other folders so it doesn't seem to be problem specific to VST2 but rather to the scan operation itself. As soon as I get a chance I'm going to check and compare folder permissions, etc.

For what it's worth, I'm running Acid as administrator and reinstalling made no difference on my home machine. I suspect that there's possibly a prefs file or registry entry somewhere that could be changed or trashed but I'm clueless at the moment as to where or what that would be.

Former user wrote on 11/10/2019, 9:09 PM

@Former user

>> Hobbyists need to take it more serious, if they want to get serious about problems.

I have. I moved to REAPER and everything works straight out of the box. I'm only here because I paid for ACID and still have a current licence for it and don't have much time for paying for products that don't work. If Magix had a refund policy that worked then I'd take it and be out of here in a flash, leaving you to your weird theories.

Also -

@Greg-Elkins said:

>> Is there some sort of trick to scanning 64 bit VST2 plugins? I can't get it to happen no matter what I do. Force rebuild doesn't do it.

This is the same issue as I am facing. It's not some drivel about prehistoric architecture; it's about ACID not being able to scan directories and process the content. That is - as I said at the start of this thread - fundamental stuff.

If they say they support something then they should support it, if not then they should say that too. It's not sticking to the advertising that is what bothers me the most. If Magix wants to refund me on v8 and v9 then I'll be delighted as nothing seems to work, unlike my cash which worked perfectly fine.

1. I own a REAPER license as well. There is also Cakewalk by BandLab, which is $0. A great DAW on Windows costs $0. I've actually been using Cakewalk for most things. I use REAPER predominantly for importing MusicXML from Notation Software and exporting MIDI to Cakewalk. It's better than exporting MIDI from Notation, which causes the software to fake ornamentation in an awkward way. But REAPER's UI/UX is so awful that I could never use it as my main DAW. I think I will crossgrade to Studio One Pro while the deal is on, and just buy the Notion 6 Add-On.

The solution to not paying for products that don't work is:

1. Wait for reviews after a product release before buying it. User reviews, not sponsored reviews (which comprises almost everything on YouTube and Blogs about MAGIX products).
  2. Buy based on how the product works after a month or so after release, and not what you want it to be. Hope is not a good investment.

2. All of my 64-Bit VST Plugins work in ACID Pro, generally speaking. It does fail on some (like Vintage Effects Suite FILTOX) and show them as unavailable, but a ReScan fixes that. But, generally, all of my plugins, instruments, synths, and samplers work. The VST scanner clearly has bugs, though, because I can keep File Explorer open to %AppData%\Local\CrashDumps and see the crash dump file for the ACID Pro 8.0 VST scanner pop up in that directory while it's scanning VSTs.

I'm not saying that isn't a problem, but I don't think MAGIX should waste development time troubleshooting 32-Bit Plugins when literally everything ships 64-Bit these days, and decade old plugins should never be a priority on the eve of 2020. It just isn't that important.

3. MAGIX does have a refund policy. I've used it, several times. You have 14 days after a purchase to get a refund. You put in the support request, and they process it - no questions asked. The money is refunded to your account within 2 days of support getting your request.

So that is totally your fault, not theirs. The refund policy, in my experience, is practically flawless.

You can't use the product for several weeks, or a month, and then decide to get a refund.

You can trial it for 30 days, and you still have 14 days after purchase to put in for a refund. 6 weeks is more than enough. If you miss that window, then you have literally no basis for complaint.

You're not sounding rational... at all.

The only time they crack down on refunds is if you buy and refund the same software several times in a relatively short span of time (i.e. 5 refunds on ACID Pro 9 within a 4 month time span). At that point, they will generally tell you that is your last refund. If you buy again, they will not refund it.

Greg-Elkins wrote on 11/10/2019, 10:11 PM

Update: I've now gotten a successful scan of at least most of my 64 bit VST2 plugins on my home rig by uninstalling the Beta and rolling back to the latest pre-Beta version through my account. This is very strange since my nearly identical studio computer is running the Beta version with 64 bit VST2 plugin folders being scanned.

As an experiment, on the problematic machine I re-installed the Beta version after getting the previous version to scan correctly. Upon re-installation of the Beta the problematic behavior returned exactly as before with only VST3 folders being successfully scanned.

I'm now going to continue running the pre-Beta version on my home machine but am afraid that Rewire issues associated with this version will return. Can't test that aspect now since I don't have my ilok on hand but will as soon as I can.

Frank_Fader wrote on 11/11/2019, 4:10 AM

It makes no difference for ACID if the plugins are in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins or flat in C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins.

We found a vst scan bug in the current october public beta versions, especially if a WAVES shell is present in the system. Then sometimes other plugins/softsynths were not scanned anymore. We plan to provide an updated public beta containing the fix for the scan issue very soon.

Newman-cz wrote on 11/11/2019, 6:03 AM

Hey guys,

I know that mainly plug-ins are solved here, I have another problem.
The AP9 beta version is already usable. I have a problem with Zoom with the mouse wheel. When using the buttons on the timeline or hotkeys, the zoom works correctly. When I use the mouse wheel, zoom is where the mouse cursor is, which is difficult to work with.
I don't know if you have it too ..

Former user wrote on 11/11/2019, 3:34 PM

The biggest issue I've run into is with the Content Installer. It's not longer installing Vita 2 correctly. It installs the Sample files, but not the VSTi DLL files.

I'm referring to the Vita 2 instrument, not the Vita Sampler.

This wasn't he case before, as I've used Vita 2 to create tracks with Instruments only in Vita 2 (not in a Vita Solo Instrument). Since this beta was released, the Content installer for both ACID Pro 8 64-Bit (Retail) and the (Beta) are broken, and incompletely install Vita 2 - so any projects that use it will not play back properly (as the instrument will be missing).

I've sent in a ticket to Support on this. This needs to be fixed ASAP. Anyone who has to reinstall a system is going to end up with a broken install, until it's remedied, and there doesn't seem to be a way to fix it without completely uninstalling the software and reinstalling.

-----

Also, since the Beta is far better than the retail version, MAGIX should just send out an Update for ACID Pro 8 to the general public (cannot comment on ACID Pro 9). Having to stalk forums to keep up with this is very inconvenient, especially since the retail build's VST scanner is so obviously broken; among other things.

Greg-Elkins wrote on 11/11/2019, 7:20 PM

As a follow up: The non-beta build 26 version of Acid Pro 9 will scan and a load all VST2 and VST3 plugins but it will not instantiate as a Rewire slave in Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10. Conversely, the public beta will not scan VST2 plugins on my system but is recognized as a Rewire slave by Pro Tools. My understanding is that the presence of a Waveshell might be a factor with the VST scan problem and I can confirm that I do have Waves plugins installed.

Former user wrote on 11/11/2019, 9:41 PM

Waves is causing issues for some Cakewalk users, as well - and probably others...

Which doesn't surprise me (historically informed statement).

Frank_Fader wrote on 11/12/2019, 4:10 AM

The biggest issue I've run into is with the Content Installer. It's not longer installing Vita 2 correctly. It installs the Sample files, but not the VSTi DLL files.

We could not reproduce this issue yet - please keep the contact to our support in order to solve or at least reproduce it, that will be easier than to exchange detail information about it via this forum.

Also, since the Beta is far better than the retail version, MAGIX should just send out an Update for ACID Pro 8 to the general public

We plan to release official patches for AP8, AP9 and APNext after the public beta testing period, of course. The vst scan issue and mp3/beatmapper project compatibility issues should be solved before that, that's the reason why we don't release it as an official auto update yet.

MarcoStorm wrote on 11/12/2019, 5:01 AM

Dear @Newman-cz

you will find an option in preferences/general named "Zoom to mouse pointer". If you disable that, you should get back the zoom handling you are used to.

Best regards,

Marco

Newman-cz wrote on 11/12/2019, 5:10 AM

@MarcoStorm Super, THX.

Greg-Elkins wrote on 11/12/2019, 6:22 AM

Waves is causing issues for some Cakewalk users, as well - and probably others...

Which doesn't surprise me (historically informed statement).

I have a long history as well and I'm not the least bit surprised! It's almost expected.

mellotronworker wrote on 11/12/2019, 12:45 PM

@Former user

>> 3. MAGIX does have a refund policy. I've used it, several times. You have 14 days after a purchase to get a refund. You put in the support request, and they process it - no questions asked. The money is refunded to your account within 2 days of support getting your request. So that is totally your fault, not theirs. The refund policy, in my experience, is practically flawless.

Within 14 days we were getting promises of fixes, and they have signally failed to deliver. That is totally not my fault. That I believed them is my fault.

Former user wrote on 11/12/2019, 8:39 PM

@Former user

>> 3. MAGIX does have a refund policy. I've used it, several times. You have 14 days after a purchase to get a refund. You put in the support request, and they process it - no questions asked. The money is refunded to your account within 2 days of support getting your request. So that is totally your fault, not theirs. The refund policy, in my experience, is practically flawless.

Within 14 days we were getting promises of fixes, and they have signally failed to deliver. That is totally not my fault. That I believed them is my fault.

Refer to my quip about Hope.

ACID Pro is mission-critical to almost no one on this forum.

1. It's absolutely (and totally) your fault that you allowed them to keep your money for a product that you describe as unusably broken. Not theirs. They can sell you a lump of coal and call it ACID Pro 10. You still have to have the personal responsibility to value your own money (and the work that went into earning it) and get a refund.

Businesses exists to make money, not to babysit.

The problem I see is that a lot of people are emotionally attached to their tools, and the companies that make them. They are just tools. If one screwdriver doesn't work, a mechanic doesn't spend the next few weeks complaining on the company forums. He simply gets another one, and stops buying from that company... and most will return the product, if possible.

What I see happening on forums for software applications is the equivalent to people being sold a broken car, instead of returning it to the dealership, they go to Yelp and Facebook and have debates about how terrible the car (and the company that built it) is, while complaining about the money they lost in the process.

2. That you believed them is simply naive. Don't believe any company. Believe yourself - what is the quality of the product as it exists to you at that moment in time? That determines whether it's worth your money.

You have a 30 Day Trial and then a 14 Day No Questions Asked Refund Period following purchase. No one should be in this situation. You can't sit through that and then start up this ridiculous refund talk. No one will take you seriously.

If people keep "believing" things and letting companies take and keep their money, when they have pretty clear (and generous) paths out of that situation - then it hurts everyone else because it lowers the incentive for that company to produce and sell a decent product. You become part of the problem.

UPYOZ wrote on 1/12/2020, 4:55 AM

COULD SOMEONE EXPLAIN HOW TO (IN ORDER TO EDIT) REOPEN ALREADY INSERTED SYNTH WITH NOTES. IN OTHER WORDS I KNOW HOW TO INSERT A SYNTH INTO A MIDI TRACK BUT ONCE PROJECT SAVED AND CLOSED THEN NEXT DAY OPENED AGAIN AND NAVIGATED TO THE SAME MIDI TRACK AND TRY TO EDIT THE SYNTH - IT WILL NOT OPEN THE SYNTH POPUP AGAIN FOR ME -

MarcoStorm wrote on 1/13/2020, 2:39 AM

Dear @UPYOZ,

you can open the synth view via View/Soft Synth Properties or just make a double klick on the Synth Bus or on the Mixer Bus Channel.

Best regards,

Marco