"Acid Pro 10.0 has stopped working"

Torrey-Zimmerman wrote on 11/21/2020, 2:03 PM

When I first launch Acid Pro 10, I typically receive an error screen. It contains the following information:

Extra Information
   File:                C:\Users\torre\AppData\Local\MAGIX\ACID Pro\10.0\dx_grovel_x64.log
   File:                C:\Users\torre\Documents\ACID Pro Projects\LBP_EPOSODES-ACID PRO\LBPodcast_Episode4_112220_Happy Holidays.acd-bak

Problem Description
   Application Name:    ACID Pro 10.0
   Application Version: Version 10.0.4 (Build 29)
   Problem:             Unmanaged Exception (0xc0000005)
   Fault Module:        C:\Program Files\ACID\ACID Pro 10.0\sfvstwrap.dll
   Fault Address:       0x000000000CC63C1D
   Fault Offset:        0x0000000000203C1D

Fault Process Details
   Process Path:        C:\Program Files\ACID\ACID Pro 10.0\acidpro.exe
   Process Version:     Version 10.0.4 (Build 29)
   Process Description: ACID Pro 10.0
   Process Image Date:  2020-10-29 (Thu Oct 29) 16:00:18

After I clear the error screen and attempt to re-launch Acid Pro, the application will launch. But it does so with a blank project--not the last one I had open.

Is there a fix for this? Any assistance you can provide will be very much appreciated!

Comments

Former user wrote on 11/21/2020, 5:45 PM

When I first launch Acid Pro 10, I typically receive an error screen. It contains the following information:

Extra Information
   File:                C:\Users\torre\AppData\Local\MAGIX\ACID Pro\10.0\dx_grovel_x64.log
   File:                C:\Users\torre\Documents\ACID Pro Projects\LBP_EPOSODES-ACID PRO\LBPodcast_Episode4_112220_Happy Holidays.acd-bak

Problem Description
   Application Name:    ACID Pro 10.0
   Application Version: Version 10.0.4 (Build 29)
   Problem:             Unmanaged Exception (0xc0000005)
   Fault Module:        C:\Program Files\ACID\ACID Pro 10.0\sfvstwrap.dll
   Fault Address:       0x000000000CC63C1D
   Fault Offset:        0x0000000000203C1D

Fault Process Details
   Process Path:        C:\Program Files\ACID\ACID Pro 10.0\acidpro.exe
   Process Version:     Version 10.0.4 (Build 29)
   Process Description: ACID Pro 10.0
   Process Image Date:  2020-10-29 (Thu Oct 29) 16:00:18

After I clear the error screen and attempt to re-launch Acid Pro, the application will launch. But it does so with a blank project--not the last one I had open.

Is there a fix for this? Any assistance you can provide will be very much appreciated!

It could be that there is a plugin you are using in that project that Acid is conflicting with. When you are opening the project, Acid plays along but as soon as the part comes when the plugin is being used, Acid gives up. At least that is my guess. I too have a lot of 3rd party plugins which Acid comes un-glued with. In my case, I actually have turned off "open last project" in preference so it will at least open without these crash errors.

Edit: Once the project is re-openend, remove any major 3rd party plugins. If this is the case. If the plugin or a synth is not the culprit here, I am not sure. The only reason I think its a 3rd party plugin or synth is because in the error, I see "sfvstwrap". Just my guess. I hope it helps.

Torrey-Zimmerman wrote on 11/22/2020, 9:13 AM

Thanks so much for your help. I was able to trouble-shoot some of the plugins. And ultimately, I needed to Scan/Force rebuild the plugins, via the plugin manager. Now, Acid Pro seems to launch without error. I really appreciate your time!!!

Former user wrote on 11/22/2020, 10:30 AM

Thanks so much for your help. I was able to trouble-shoot some of the plugins. And ultimately, I needed to Scan/Force rebuild the plugins, via the plugin manager. Now, Acid Pro seems to launch without error. I really appreciate your time!!!

Glad to hear. Acid Pro is great if it works! Have fun

LooneyBinJim wrote on 11/25/2020, 1:52 PM

Omg it works?

What were the plugins you removed ?did you add any back?if so can you share it would be cool...

Stephen-Hutchinson wrote on 11/28/2020, 12:09 PM

Since installing the latest update a few weeks ago, I can't open any projects made in ACID Pro 10 by double-clicking on the "acd.zip" file. Today I have dedicated some time to figure out why this is the case and having read this thread, I tried doing this "Scan/Force rebuild the plugins" suggestion, but to no avail. I just get the "ACID Pro 10.0 has stopped working" message over and over again. I get that message a lot when working with projects, and none of the updates have been of any help with the still constant random crashing of ACID while working in the middle of a project. After reading some other suggestions I have now tried opening the ACID 10 project in ACID Pro 9, but it's not compatible.

As a last ditch resort, I opened up ACID PRO 10 empty and then did File > Open and tried to load my project... that at least has worked but the program will still crash during working mid-project.

So at this point, after having tried several reboots, and seeing if that will fix the constant crashing, I've decided that upgrading to ACID Pro 10 was a huge mistake. So was 9.0 and 8.0 The last version that actually worked was 7.0 (which I still have a copy of thankfully.. but can't open newer projects with).

I am now faced with the daunting task of having to try and export all the individual tracks from each of my ACID 10 project files (Render As > Save each track as a separate file) and bring them into Ableton Live Suite. I tried Ableton Live Lite for a month and was so impressed at how much more modern and crash free it was (on both PC and Mac) that I bought the full Ableton Live Suite.

I've used ACID Pro since ACID Music came out in 1999/2000. This is it for me. 20 years later, I'm done with ACID as a DAW. I've created hundreds of projects over the last couple decades and little by little I'll have to port over the tracks from each of the best mixes I've created, and note the plugins used. It is going to be a difficult journey, but constantly paying for upgrades for a software in hopes that the crashing will be fixed is just a pipe dream. It is such a pain in the ass to use that it is no longer a viable avenue of music creation. I just hope I can salvage the work I've already done in ACID, export all my tracks out, and be done with the current iteration of ACID for good.

Former user wrote on 11/28/2020, 5:44 PM

Since installing the latest update a few weeks ago, I can't open any projects made in ACID Pro 10 by double-clicking on the "acd.zip" file. Today I have dedicated some time to figure out why this is the case and having read this thread, I tried doing this "Scan/Force rebuild the plugins" suggestion, but to no avail. I just get the "ACID Pro 10.0 has stopped working" message over and over again. I get that message a lot when working with projects, and none of the updates have been of any help with the still constant random crashing of ACID while working in the middle of a project. After reading some other suggestions I have now tried opening the ACID 10 project in ACID Pro 9, but it's not compatible.

As a last ditch resort, I opened up ACID PRO 10 empty and then did File > Open and tried to load my project... that at least has worked but the program will still crash during working mid-project.

So at this point, after having tried several reboots, and seeing if that will fix the constant crashing, I've decided that upgrading to ACID Pro 10 was a huge mistake. So was 9.0 and 8.0 The last version that actually worked was 7.0 (which I still have a copy of thankfully.. but can't open newer projects with).

I am now faced with the daunting task of having to try and export all the individual tracks from each of my ACID 10 project files (Render As > Save each track as a separate file) and bring them into Ableton Live Suite. I tried Ableton Live Lite for a month and was so impressed at how much more modern and crash free it was (on both PC and Mac) that I bought the full Ableton Live Suite.

I've used ACID Pro since ACID Music came out in 1999/2000. This is it for me. 20 years later, I'm done with ACID as a DAW. I've created hundreds of projects over the last couple decades and little by little I'll have to port over the tracks from each of the best mixes I've created, and note the plugins used. It is going to be a difficult journey, but constantly paying for upgrades for a software in hopes that the crashing will be fixed is just a pipe dream. It is such a pain in the ass to use that it is no longer a viable avenue of music creation. I just hope I can salvage the work I've already done in ACID, export all my tracks out, and be done with the current iteration of ACID for good.

I understand your frustration, stephen. I left Acidpro back in 2007 due to sony ruining it. Came back to it after version 8 came out, again, went back to ableton as the dark GUI ruined it. kept upgrading all the way to version 10, still full of bugs but at least they added a better (not same as ver 7) GUI so I could start seeing the loops I am working with. Full of freezes, crashes, Mp3 not working, this and that, I didn't give up this time. Magix doesn't really help, they just come up with the next upgrade and want more money.

However, I think most of us here in forums are those long term acid pro users who are extremely frustrated that acid pro came back to life but the only positive change it came back with, was going from 32bit 64bit but also came with a lot of bugs either un-fixed from previous life or just got added on due to all the unnecessary bells and whistles. Anyway, it is what it is.

My question is this, when you were having all of these problems, did you do a clean un-install of acid pro 10 and re-installed it to see if stopped crashing? In my case, that was the solution alongside adding exceptions in windows defender. acid pro has minimal crashes now but "render as" is still buggy. and mind you, this was mostly from my own troubleshooting as Acid pro is my choice of DAW for over 20 years. There was absolutely zero help from Magix in any of my issues.

Torrey-Zimmerman wrote on 1/13/2021, 3:40 PM

So far, I haven't heard back from MAGIX. And I'm hearing that others have been disappointed by the lack of support they've received from the company.

Since force-rebuilding my effects, and experiencing some short-term success, Acid 10 Pro has begun freezing and crashing again. I never thought about the possible interaction between Acid and Windows Defender. I'll have to explore that a bit more. AmanSingh, can you share any more information about the exceptions you put in place to get Acid and Defender playing nice?

Former user wrote on 1/13/2021, 5:07 PM

Hi Torrey, I am sorry to hear that you are still having problems. About the Win defender, I still think that Acid has something to do with it but about the exceptions, I am sorry to say, that failed as well. Meaning adding exceptions did not work. I went in circles with that, win defender would remove the exceptions in the next startup. So its really hard to tell where exactly is the problem.

So, about the effects, I would highly recommend NOT to use any new Magix effects in your projects. Do not use side-chaining as that is buggy (confirmed by other users). About magix not replying, I am one of the few lucky ones who they did reply to. According to Magix, acid pro's bugs will be worked on in January 2021 so that should be Now. In my case, I don't have crashes anymore mainly due to not using the following: Morph pads, Magix effects, Midi stuff and MP3 files. I use acid pro strictly for audio and for it's simple layout. Later mix the songs in Studio One as I ended up buying that as I needed side-chaining.

Acid is a great tool, just hang in there and lets all hope the bug-fixes are coming soon.

Kip-Johnson wrote on 1/23/2021, 1:03 AM

This is well know bug that will never be fixed. It has to do with the time it takes to load a large project with lots of plugins to load. Its a timing issue where if you load the project by double clicking the project file it try's to load or scan all the plugins in a certain amount of time before the ACID software gets loaded. It blows up on the ACID initialization process while loading the software while scanning the plugins. It probably has to do with the new code the programmers added to run the VST loader concurrently (asynchronous) while loading the ACID software. If you load the ACID software first then open your project after ACID loads first it won't blow up.

Gary-Waghorn wrote on 4/2/2021, 8:35 PM

Gary Waghorn

I have had all the above problems and I agree that a new install is a good start but you first have to uninstall the program and go through the program files and common files and data files in fact every Acid or Magic file you can find and manually remove them to make sure the computer is clean of any corrupt files as I changed my C drive for a quicker drive and Acid worked great for about 4 months but it has gone back to crashing again so next week I intend to have a big clean up again. When I had the rendering problems I found the solo buttons in the mixer were not switching off the solo buttons in the edit window so by manually switching off and on and finally off every single solo button in both windows (mix and edit ) I was then able to render but I have no idea why this was stopping the render. For projects that will not open I have a blank project with no tracks audio or midi and this opens every time then once that has loaded all the plugins I can open all my projects from there again I have no idea why other problems occur so with midi tracks I render them to a new track as soon as I am happy with them and I delete all the midi tracks and then save as with new name so I can still go back to the midi track later if I want to try a different synth or voice. I have started using Pro Tools which has not crashed yet ( 4 weeks and counting ) but in the book I have all about Pro Tools it tells you how to trash the DEA files in 2 locations and this stops it from crashing and this needs doing from time to time so I wonder if Acid has something similar that can be trashed, I will still use Acid as I really like the program and if I could stop it crashing it would be brilliant. I hope this will help all of you who are having the same problems.

Formeraciduser wrote on 4/19/2021, 10:42 AM

i can not even begin to explain the painstakingly hard process of having to export all my hard work in Acid Pro to audio to now use in Bitwig. I'm done, Acid Pro 10 has ruined this program. Since the 64bit update in Acid Pro 8 it has only destroyed the program. Glitchy, audio latency issues, crashing Constantly.

This program is oficially Dead to me. I literally cannot run more than 2 instances of Serum or any other vst without the program freezing up, glitchy audio or completely crashing. Now I see the "Acid has stopped working" caption and i just laugh. NO OTHER Mainstream DAW has this much issues, which is such a shame.

Because I have used this program faithfully for nearly 20 years!!! Spent 1,000s of hours creating music, in what i consider to be one of the best blank slate workflows and the layout is so easy to use (when it works) I have given up unfortunately on hoping this program will be fixed. Since Acid Pro 7 is 32bit and using Jbridge is unreliable on all 64bit VSTs I was bought Acid Pro 10 because of the 64bit structure. Only to find that 10 crashes even more than 7!!! Its truly remarkable how this program has declined when every other mainstream DAW in improving consistently. Now i have to learn all the parameters of Bitwig (as its the only workflow that seems comparable to Acids workflow)

I do not want to leave acid pro I Have to Leave Acid Pro becaude its just broken!

im honestly sad because i have learned the ins and outs of this program and can use the workflow like the back of my hand, creating quickly and editing with shortcuts immediately. But the program will Not let me work. The crashing is so consistent, i have to hit ctrl s (save) after i make any significant changes to my tracks because i know the crashing will come sooner than later. This program has become a joke and now im off to have Learn a new DAW and waste 100s of hours becoming fluent in a new program when Acid could have just been fixed by the developers. Smh

- disgusted former acid user

WatchWoods wrote on 5/19/2021, 12:52 PM

I'm still on 8.0 because I won't pay money when bugs aren't fixed. But now somehow I'm hitting new issues in 8.0. I switched to Reaper a couple of years ago and am only in Acid to mix older projects and render them out as wav, mp3 and stems. I don't think I could ever render out them all to put in another daw. I started with acid in 2000 with Acid Hip Hop 2.0. I literally have THOUSANDS of different project files. So I'm stuck with Acid to access those, but I won't use Acid as a main daw for making completely new tracks. EVER ever again.

Gunter-Bubleit wrote on 5/26/2022, 12:44 PM

I've been using Acid from early Sound Forge days. Use it on three computers. I compose and when I return to the project the program is frozen. This has been happening only recently. HELP.

Gunter-Bubleit wrote on 5/26/2022, 6:46 PM

Switched to Reaper I don't the time deal with this. Hoping with every new edition thing will THEY HAVEN'T This my business - not a toy.

Joe-Gafford wrote on 6/2/2022, 9:58 PM

Acid and Music Maker are both frozen on startup! Music Maker first, then Acid Pro 11 this week! What's next? Vegas? Geez

Joe-Gafford wrote on 6/2/2022, 10:10 PM

Every other program on my computer is working in Windows 10. Only the Magix products are not working. Windows update to blame?

nalz-j wrote on 6/16/2022, 3:05 AM

Acid Pro 11 has third party plugin issue. It defaults the settings you made on a plugin after you try to add another plugin in the same track

sheppo wrote on 6/16/2022, 8:33 AM

@nalz-j - drag an FX from the plugin manager to your track, bus, or event. Adding an FX this way will not reset the settings to other FX on the chain.

skezza wrote on 10/18/2022, 6:16 PM

Heh, it's interesting to see all these comments. I suppose vindication in some aspects and gives me comfort knowing I'm not the only one desperately disappointed at the decline of what was, in my opinion, the most intuitive DAW you could buy at one point. I started with Acid 7 and for many years, recorded and produced tracks with limited resistance. Heck, I used it way into the 64bit days. It all went downhill when 64bit VST's became the norm and I was somewhat forced onto a newer version of Acid about 2019.... since then, it's just been sadness and disappointment.

My experience:
8 - Skipped. No light theme.
9 - Stable, in that doesn't crash often, but unbelievably buggy. Weird and quite bizarre glitches, like tracks going out of sync with each other and the only way to fix it is to either restart playback from the beginning or reopen the software.
10 - The most unstable DAW I've ever used. My current record is 20 crashes in one night. Most common crashes are when trying to switch between VST's. However, it sometimes just crashes for the sake of it. Clicked render earlier.... crashed.
11 - Only tried the demo, but much the same.

I fired up Acid 7 for the first time in years during the weekend and it reminded me of just how good this DAW was. Bulletproof. Sadly, only a few of my plugins are compatible these days. I am looking at Reaper tbh. I can't keep hanging around with Magix decide whether or not they want to keep this product alive. You can't keep bolting fixes on the side and hope it works. It needs a thorough teardown and proper fixes made.

Former user wrote on 10/20/2022, 8:31 PM

@skezza you'll find Reaper to be virtually bullet proof. AP has turned into a POS DAW and it could have been GREAT. Cheers

skezza wrote on 10/21/2022, 2:37 AM

@skezza you'll find Reaper to be virtually bullet proof. AP has turned into a POS DAW and it could have been GREAT. Cheers

I'm taking a bit of a break from production and music in general. I've been gigging relentlessly every weekend + some weekdays every week for about 12 months now and working a full time job. To say that im burnt out is an understatement lol. 4 more gigs and im done :D can't wait tbh.

However the plan is to come back fresh and install Reaper for my first project. I was using Acid 10 last week, mixing a track I was looking to play Saturday and it was just an awful experience. My production isn't overly complex like some of the EDM stuff. I'll use on average 3-5 VSTs/soft synths. I suspect I've never used more than 10. What I need is for the DAW to be functional. I'm not even that arsed about responsiveness. It just needs to function without either data loss or glitches that confuse me into thinking I've messed something up on my track. I sometimes record and mix a track in less than a night. To crash 20 times in one evening when you are stressing about your next performance is just not what I need right now.

None of the options look good for Acid.

Of my 35 additional VSTs, which isn't a lot btw, only 4 are recognised by Sony Acid 7.

Acid 9 is probably the best option because I've never encountered data loss it. It just does weird stuff and eventually you get a knack for spotting when it has happened.

Acid 10. Write off. You can't keep crashing and hoping the recovery file has your hard work saved.

So I think I'll give Reaper a go. With no gigs I'll have time to invest in learning it. Shame. I've had some great years with Acid Pro 7, all good things come to an end I guess.