Acid 10 MIDI on MIO no sound

Glitch.Tulsa wrote on 8/3/2021, 3:34 AM

I've got an older Casio digital piano that I run via a MIO cable. Acid recognizes the connection, signals get through. I have a VST soft synth applied, it gets a signal...

...but no sound comes out.

I've been using ACID products since Sonic Foundry Acid Studio 2.0, so I am familiar with the interface, and again, I can visually see the signal making it all the way to the soft synth, but no sound is being made.

Am I missing something in the routing?

I have honestly wanted to start using Acid again since it went to 64 bit, but every version I have tried so far has been utterly unusable. I am currently experiencing a serious VST problem, which appears to be common(going over to that thread after posting this), and really--they removed the stem maker?

....anyway, long story, short version, I really want to get this up and running, and make Acid work for me--I have always loved the program--but this is my last attempt before I abandon it for good, so any help would be greatly appreciated...

...why do I get no sound from MIDI?

Also, where do I find a full manual?

Comments

Glitch.Tulsa wrote on 8/5/2021, 4:54 PM

I still have no sound from MIDI, again, this makes ACID absolutely useless to me, and apparently no one with MAGIX cares about this program enough to either point me in the right direction or address the issue.

Sadly this once great program seems to suffer from a serious lack of seriousness on the part of the developers.

How do I get MIDI sounds to actually play?

Glitch.Tulsa wrote on 8/5/2021, 5:10 PM

You know what? I just closed and re-opened ACID, and the play button no longer works. Found a thread on this forum from some time back about the very same issue, and no solution.

You guys can keep this pile of garbage. I'm seriously done banging my head against a wall trying to get the simplest of things to work correctly. FFS the play button won't even work, and I've only had this thing installed for a few days, MIDI gets signals just fine, but there's absolutely no sound coming out, and no one seems to want to address these problems--these are basic core functionality, as is, without them the program is useless....

...you would honestly think, that with the amount of advertising you guys send to me that you'd have a program worth something, FFS I can't even get it to basic stuff like play.

I also just noticed that no matter what I do it won't allow for ASIO drivers, it keeps defaulting to the Rewire drivers, not good guys.

Done, done and double-done...

...congratulations, you have managed to turn me off of a program I have been using for nearly 20 years now, excellent work, keep it up.

Glitch.Tulsa wrote on 8/5/2021, 7:17 PM

Okay, after a an uninstall, reinstall, reboot, and a bit of poking around, apparently some of my VSTs actually produce sound, but it is precious few(seriously out of over 40 VSTS I have gotten 3 to produce sound), what is even stranger is that the stock synths that came with ACID do not work in ACID(no really, you can't make this stuff up)...

...they do however work in Reaper if I move them to the main VST folder(did I mention something about, not being capable of making this up).

What gives, why are all(okay at this point "most") of my VSTs, simply either not loading in ACID or not producing any sound in ACID, even the ones that came with ACID?

Again, this would be laughable if it wasn't so darn frustrating.

Glitch.Tulsa wrote on 8/5/2021, 7:46 PM

Alright, did a forced rebuild on the VST folder, it found more that work now, but it also found a whole lot of "can't load module" and these are all VSTs that worked in ACID Pro 7. Is there something special I should be doing to the 32 bit VSTs, some are loading just fine, but when rebuilding the VST database there was a whole lot of "can't load module" warnings, like hundreds of them--literally in the hundreds...

...how hard is it to get these VSTs to work? Is it impossible? Should I go back to resigning myself to Reaper for the foreseeable future? Acid is on the verge of redeeming itself, but unless and until I get this VST problem worked out it's still not there. Oddly enough, I opened up ACID 7, and the same VSTs that are missing from 10, are missing from 7, this indicates to me that they apparently share the same VST list and rebuilding one, rebuilds the other.

sheppo wrote on 8/7/2021, 3:48 AM

I was going to try to answer your question, I have a very very old USB1 midi keyboard, and thought i might have midi routing issues and could offer tips

But for me it worked instantly, no issues at all with key presses or controllers being passed through to the midi instrument just fine, no matter what VSTi i tried.

Glitch.Tulsa wrote on 8/7/2021, 5:01 AM

I'm fairly sure it's a problem with ACID and 32bit VSTs...

...I've started to notice that a good portion of what it is finding problems with are my older VSTs, like I said, I'm getting hundreds(literally hundreds) of "can't load module" errors when I scan my VST folders. I've starting going through the ones it doesn't put in the failed folder one-by-one, and about half of them pop up errors when trying to load, and out of the ones that do actually load, a precious few will actually function correctly and produce sound. They all function correctly in ACID 7(but it is 32 bit) and Reaper(64 bit), so it's an ACID 10 problem, and looking over the board it seems to be pretty common.

sheppo wrote on 8/7/2021, 7:31 AM

the obvious answer is get 64bit versions. cross architecture plugins in any DAW go through a third party bridge, so sure, it's a workaround if a 64bit version isn't available, but if it is the absolute correct and efficient way to use that plugin is in the 64bit version.

That said, I install 32bit and 64bit versions of all plugins, scan them all in Acid, and don't encounter that problem at all. Some are identified as not working in Acid, but those that it thinks work do indeed work. Obviously though, I don't have all plugins and instruments ever made.

any specific plugins and version numbers of those that don't work in acid?

Glitch.Tulsa wrote on 8/7/2021, 8:23 AM

Here's a short list of loaded VSTs, that may or may not open, but once open either have missing functions, or do not work at all or not as intended--this list isn't complete, these are only the ones I have tested between the program crashing:

alphatron
arptron_2
arpy
DLS Soft Synth
drumatic
glass Armanica
Herc's Ababkos
Karnage
KITR
Miscellania
Pace Percussion

Those are the synths, I haven't yet started on the effects, but in all fairness most of the effects seem to be reasonably okay, at least the ones I have included in older project files.

...my failed and ignored list is actually currently empty(I did a fresh reinstall this morning).

The problem I'm having with a lot of these is that there aren't 64bit versions of them, and I rely on a few of them for certain things. Arpy, for instance, is my go to arpeggiator, nice simple and to the point, unfortunately trying to open it crashes ACID.

I've been testing the demo of this program for 6 days now, actively trying to get it to run correctly, and I honestly don't think I've actually closed it down yet, it ends with either a crash, a forced reboot of my computer, or a direct kill in task manager.

Glitch.Tulsa wrote on 8/7/2021, 8:29 AM

I see a lot of variations of this this error message:

sheppo wrote on 8/9/2021, 6:09 PM

I'm not sure if this is good or bad news, but I've just gone and grabbed a copy online and tried arpy. It works just fine for me..

Looking at C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\MAGIX\ACID Pro\10.0\plugin_scan_state_VST2_x32.scan I see

<PLUGIN name="Arpy" format="VST" category="Synth" manufacturer="Guido Goebertus"
          version="1.0.0.0" file="D:\VST\x86\arpy\Arpy.dll" uid="33363737"
          isInstrument="1" fileTime="f9a9f96ac0" infoUpdateTime="17b2d196bed"
          numInputs="0" numOutputs="2" isShell="0" isAraPlugin="0"/>

Do you have other midi devices, or DAWs open at the same time?

Glitch.Tulsa wrote on 8/9/2021, 6:38 PM

"Do you have other midi devices, or DAWs open at the same time?"

No, nothing else open. It does it from a fresh boot with only ACID running. Arpy crashes Acid completely. Like I said, I'm getting hundreds of "can't load module" errors when I scan the VST folders--no exaggeration, hundreds of error messages. It takes nearly an hour to click on all of them. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Acid 4 times, and these same VSTs work in Acid 7, and Reaper...

...and nothing shows up in the failed folder--which is bizarre because obviously multiple VSTs are failing, or I wouldn't be getting hundreds of error messages. I appreciate you taking the time to test it, but the fact that you can't duplicate it means that the problem is on my end, with that said though, the problem exists in Acid only, and only in Acid 10. Acid 7 runs just fine as long as I set compatibility to XP. I also tried the demo of Acid 8 when it first came out, and that was on different computer(three machines ago), and I had similar problems with that.

At this point I'm honestly of the opinion that it's not worth messing with anymore. I've spent over a week trying to get this program to run correctly, while I have other programs(including an older version of Acid) that all run perfectly fine. So while I would honestly love to have a modern version of Acid up and running, it's just not worth the time and effort to get there. I don't want something that's going to give me these types of problems. I'll just wait till 11 comes out, cross my fingers and hope for the best.

sheppo wrote on 8/10/2021, 5:03 PM

to me this sounds like either there's something else causing an issue. for example a software midi device, or one of the plugins is causing others to fail. The closest to a source of the error screenshot you posted earlier was an old version of cakewalk.. (but that guess is really a stretch) do you have that installed? The only other thing I can think of is acid doesn't like something in your plugin folder and it is causing an issue with plugins that would otherwise work.

Try getting rid of all your plugin folders in the Acid Plugin Manager, and pointing it at the folder of one specific plugin... e.g. Arpy - so only that would load, and literally nothing else. Does that work?

If so that points to, as I say, a plugin that Acid thinks it likes, but it doesn't. And then it's down to finding what that is.

I don't really know what else to suggest, sorry

johnebaker wrote on 8/11/2021, 8:21 AM

@Glitch.Tulsa

Hi

. . . . after a an uninstall, reinstall, reboot, . . . .

Did you clean up and remove every single file and registry fragments that belong to Acid that the uninstaller left behind?

Files left behind, and are created on first run, in many programs are normally re-used and, if one of them has an issue, then re-installing does not necessarily fix the issues.

I have not used Acid for a very long while, however I have seen this issue of files and registry entries being left behind causing issues with other software.

If you want to try a re-install again, use Revo Uninstaller Free and initiate the uninstall from within Revo, after the program is uninstalled Revo will scan the registry and for folders left behind and give you the option of deleting them.

If you have used CCleaner to scan and fix the registry this is known to cause issues - Microsoft have blacklisted it.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.