ACID 10.5 to 11 free upgrade grace period?

Evelyn-Flowers wrote on 6/15/2022, 3:31 PM

I just upgraded my ACID Pro 9 to ACID Pro 10.5 less than two months ago (today is 6/15, I registered 10.5 on 4/19). Today I get an email announcing ACID Pro 11. Obviously, if I'd known 11 was coming out in June, I wouldn't have upgraded to 10.5 in April. I've looked all over the Magix site and I've tried upgrading my 10.5 in the app and it tells me there's no update. Has anyone heard of an upgrade grace period where purchasing v10 immediately before v11 gets you a free upgrade to v11?

Thanks,
Lyn

Comments

SP. wrote on 6/15/2022, 3:54 PM

@Evelyn-Flowers I think there usually is only a grace period of four weeks, maybe? But maybe customer support will grant you the upgrade for free. I suggest you ask them at infoservice@magix.net

LooneyBinJim wrote on 6/20/2022, 1:40 PM

@Evelyn-Flowers I think there usually is only a grace period of four weeks, maybe? But maybe customer support will grant you the upgrade for free. I suggest you ask them at infoservice@magix.net

dont hold your breath

Former user wrote on 6/20/2022, 8:50 PM

I think you have 30 days, cancel your AP10 purchase NOW.

Sir_Caramel wrote on 6/22/2022, 6:29 AM

From the terms and conditions:

Unlimited use With the update service you will receive a full year of new features and updates,

Doesn't that mean if you've bought Acid 10 recently (as I have) we have a full year of new features and updates? Surely this means we are covered to get an update to Acid 11?

SP. wrote on 6/22/2022, 7:37 AM

@Sir_Caramel The update service is only valid for Xara based products.

Sir_Caramel wrote on 6/22/2022, 8:50 AM

@Sir_Caramel The update service is only valid for Xara based products.

SP. I rechecked and saw that. It's not really clear until you drill down into it, since the update information is in the general FAQ.

I've written to the email address you supplied above about an upgrade since I bought Acid Pro 10 less than a month ago.

Evelyn-Flowers wrote on 6/22/2022, 10:32 AM

Thanks, everyone. I think I’m going to file this one under “shoulda known better.” I’ve decided to end my relationship with this product and this company. I’ve been an ACID user since Pro 3. After investing in numerous upgrades and loop collections, I began to have some serious reservations once MAGIX took over. The “upgrade” from Pro 7 to Pro 8 felt like a step backwards in usability (mostly cosmetic changes that made it harder to use) and the addition of the commercial license for loops threw into question whether I could use my old loops libraries in commercial projects, even though I purchased them under the Sony royalty free license.

I think my personal path forward is to start fresh by archiving all of my old music and then move on to another DAW. I’ve owned Ableton Live for a few years but I always fell back to ACID whenever I started a new project because I’m so much more familiar and comfortable with it. That changes today.

It’s going to be super hard to walk away from everything I’ve done in the past and begin to learn a new piece of software. ACID was pioneer and a lot of what it does is incredibly intuitive. But I feel no obligation to remain in this financially abusive relationship with MAGIX.

Thanks.

Sir_Caramel wrote on 6/23/2022, 3:02 AM

Just to add to Evelyn-Flowers's post, I had Acid v.4, mainly drawn to it because of Soundforge which was great for messing up in-the-field recordings. I left Acid at 4 and only just came back to Acid last month, because Magix seemed to be working out some of the bugs. I actually bought it so I could teach my now-teenage kids basic loop-based composition to add to their guitar and voice recordings. I was hoping to get my two to get into the music-making groove using Acid, because I always found it so approachable.

I was glad to buy direct from Magix, because, as an ex-developer, I know that behind software are people with families who need a steady income. However, the fact that Magix customer service are so adamant I need to pay to upgrade to 11 less than 30 days after buying v.10 really rankles.

I've also ordered an audio interface, which I was thinking of using with Acid. On the audio interface manufacturer's website, it talks about "thanking you for your investment" - that's where, IMO, it seems Magix is going wrong. I wanted to get Acid Pro as an investment for my kids - so they could grow up using it. But, from the replies from customer service, they just seem to see me as potential for more and more purchases. I wanted my kids to enjoy the software, not feel tied to a continuous purchase path. From now on, I'll get them to concentrate on the bundled software that comes with the interface - stable DAW, it seems, on both PC and ipad and DSP effects. At least that seems to have a viable future. I'll use Acid 10 myself while it lasts, but move onto the other DAW eventually.

In less than month Magix customer service have turned me from a customer into a critic - that's pretty impressive.

To the Acid developers - thank you for what you've been doing. It's a pity your customer service couldn't have done the decent thing.

SP. wrote on 6/23/2022, 4:23 AM

@Sir_Caramel Have you contacted customer support and told them you just bought version 10 less than 30 days before version 11 came out and asked them for an free upgrade to version 11?

Sir_Caramel wrote on 6/23/2022, 6:59 AM

@SP. I took your advice in your first reply in this thread and emailed customer service and told them the situation.

I've asked quite a few times, but they don't seem interested. Essentially, they've repeatedly said I need to pay again to upgrade to 11. So I'll be teaching my kids how to use something else, regrettably.