A Few Short Questions about Xara (Icon output, Forum, etc)

Munenushi wrote on 9/29/2016, 7:30 PM

Sorry to 'throw this all out there' but I have a few questions about Xara Photo & Graphic Designer.... 

I am interested in Xara for image editing, but was wondering a few things that [hopefully] are simple to answer:

1. Looking at the program via the TRIAL, it appears to be focused more towards Vector Design than Image/Photo Editing...  [coming from mainly using Open Source software, it seems less like GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) and more like Inkscape]. Is this the main offering from MAGIX/Xara I should be looking at for Image Editing (similar to Photoshop, etc)?

2. I was looking to create some Windows Icons for Applications (Desktop Icons, etc) and did not find any .ICO output option in XPGD... Does this program have that capability [wondering if I just missed it somewhere]?

3. Is this the main forum I should be using for questions about XPGD? I saw another Forum ("TalkGraphics") that appeared to be created for it... 

Thank you for any information anyone can provide

Comments

browj2 wrote on 9/29/2016, 9:27 PM

Hi again Munenushi,

I initially purchased Xara because it works with Movie Edit Pro to create graphic overlays and animations. The video clip goes out to Xara and shows up as background. You then draw whatever you want, following the animation limiations, advance the frame and the video background also advances, exit and whatever you drew is added as an overlay object in the video editor. Wonderful! I have full Xara Designer Pro because I wanted to also make web sites without having to learn how to code them.

Yes, it is mainly a vector program but the latest version has some good features for bitmap images. There are many plugins available. I use PaintShop Pro for touching up photos, and it works with both Xara as the bitmap editor, and with Movie Edit Pro/Video Pro X as the photo editor.

Talkgraphics is the correct forum and you should post your question about the icons there. Although the manual says that you can import/export icons, I can't see how to export to ico. This thread might interest you. It's about Touch icons. I think that you have to export a png and transform it in another program. You can do a search for icons in the forum.

Last changed by browj2 on 9/29/2016, 9:27 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Munenushi wrote on 10/1/2016, 3:48 AM

Hi again Munenushi,

I initially purchased Xara because it works with Movie Edit Pro to create graphic overlays and animations. The video clip goes out to Xara and shows up as background. You then draw whatever you want, following the animation limiations, advance the frame and the video background also advances, exit and whatever you drew is added as an overlay object in the video editor. Wonderful! I have full Xara Designer Pro because I wanted to also make web sites without having to learn how to code them.

Yes, it is mainly a vector program but the latest version has some good features for bitmap images. There are many plugins available. I use PaintShop Pro for touching up photos, and it works with both Xara as the bitmap editor, and with Movie Edit Pro/Video Pro X as the photo editor.

Talkgraphics is the correct forum and you should post your question about the icons there. Although the manual says that you can import/export icons, I can't see how to export to ico. This thread might interest you. It's about Touch icons. I think that you have to export a png and transform it in another program. You can do a search for icons in the forum.

Ah, I see... 

Thanks for the Talkgraphics reminder (3). I was trying it out (1) to see if it is a potential replacement for PaintShop Pro which I use as well and enjoy. It does seem quite powerful (geared towards Vector work) and despite not seeming to have Icon output (2), I may get it someday and for now I can use these other programs for icon creation.

Thanks again for your knowledgeable input!

johnebaker wrote on 10/13/2016, 3:35 AM

Hi Munenushi

If you want to use your favourite program PSP, and keep the cost down you can use the free online converter at www.converticon.com.

This will convert and package up various size icons into one ico file.

Make sure that the jpg or png image you create is square - I would suggest 256 x 256 as minimum.

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 10/13/2016, 3:36 AM, changed a total of 3 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Munenushi wrote on 10/13/2016, 6:15 AM

Hi Munenushi

If you want to use your favourite program PSP, and keep the cost down you can use the free online converter at www.converticon.com.

Make sure that the jpg or png image you create is square - I would suggest 256 x 256 as minimum.

HTH

John EB

Thanks for the idea (and the mention that 256x256 is the 'minimum'... I have been using that as my maximum size)!

I actually reverted to using GIMP for at least the finalization of output, as it has ICO output; but I do use PSP for the main editing of the icon, yes.

I'll have to try that program sometime, thanks again!

Munenushi wrote on 10/13/2016, 6:18 AM

Hi Munenushi

HTH

John EB

Thanks for the idea (and the mention that 256x256 is the 'minimum'... I have been using that as my maximum size, I either forgot or didn't know that they could go larger)!

I actually reverted to using GIMP for at least the finalization of output, as it has ICO output; but I do use PSP for the main editing of the icon, yes.

I'll have to try that program sometime, thanks again!

johnebaker wrote on 10/13/2016, 7:10 AM

Hi Munenushi

. . . . I actually reverted to using GIMP . . . .

Does this give you the option to have different sizes of the same icon in the one file as the free converter website does?

Windows will use the correct size icon from the ico file depending on the setting for ICON size in Windows.  This gives a better quality icon, ie no upscaling of a small icon,  when Windows is using Large or Extra Large icons.

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 10/13/2016, 7:10 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.