64-bit Acid Pro 9 and 10 fault in winmmbase.dll during audio recording

CE-Winterland wrote on 2/27/2020, 1:52 PM

Hello,

I have submitted a support ticket but wanted to see if anyone is having a similar experience (or perhaps has a solution).

I installed Acid Pro 9 (32 and 64 bit versions) last week and Acid Pro 10 (64-bit version) last night, and both have the same problem in Windows 10 64-bit OS.

Just after 32 minutes of Multi-Track recording, Acid Pro 64-bit (both 9 and 10) cause a fault in winmmbase.dll, which crashes Acid Pro, and severs all of the recorded tracks. The tracks are about 167MB in size for Mono and 334MB in size for stereo (12 tracks, a mix of mono and stereo, all audio tracks with no plugins or any other software running). I have been able to repair the severed tracks by re-processing them through VLC (essentially to close the severed recording process).

The winmmbase.dll file lives in the Windows\System32 file path (suggesting it is a 32-bit file), which led me to run a test set using Acid Pro 9 32-bit. I was able to successfully record the same tracks in 32-bit without this fault in winmmbase.dll, so it seems that this problem is specifically related to Acid Pro 9 and 10 64-bit versions somehow interacting with this .dll file, which appears to be a 32-bit file.

I have seen where others have reported problems with the winmmbase.dll file crashing Acid Pro at startup, but it has been unclear whether those folks have the same problem in the 32 bit versions.

Google searches have been fruitless at this point as far as finding anyone reporting a similar issue.

So long as Acid Pro 9 or 10 32bit work for me, I suppose it's not a huge deal (and my version of Acid Pro 7 works great as well). I use this software pretty much exclusively to record multiple simultaneous tracks in my studio, and having it crash out at 32 minutes is just unacceptable (as typical sessions last at least an hour between pauses in the recordings).

If/when I get a response from Magix to my support ticket, I will try to update this thread...

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 2/27/2020, 5:00 PM

@CE-Winterland

Hi

You should have 2 versions of winnmmbase.dll installed on your computer.

In the System 32 folder - on my PC the version no. is 10.0.1.18362.1 and has a file size of 132KB

In the SysWOW64 folder the version no. is the same as above and has a file size of 165KB.

Despite the names of the folders, the files in System32 are 64 bit versions, the SysWOW64 folder contains the 32 bit versions.

As your 32 bit versions of Acid work correctly, the issue would suggest that there is a file mismatch - run a system file check (sfc) to determine if there are issues with your Windows 10 installation if you do not know how to do this see this tutorial steps 3 - 11.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

CE-Winterland wrote on 3/4/2020, 10:46 PM

** Update - with solution **

Unfortunately I continued to have the problem with the winmmbase.dll crashing even 32 bit Acid Pro 9 (it worked for a night, then started faulting again).

Tonight I uninstalled all of the Acid Pro instances I had installed (but left all of the add-ons and VSTs) and then reinstalled Acid Pro 10.

Tonight it worked (2 hour-long recording sessions, uninterrupted).